Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

did you know that?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
Stealing pictures is copyright infringement.

As soon as someone clicks the button, they own copyrights to that picture.

Now you know.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misskriss10
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM
Okay
Mashnut3161
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:37 AM

okay

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:42 AM
For those upset about their pictures on that blog..

Quoting misskriss10: Okay
misskriss10
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Mine wasnt on there. I must be lame lol

Quoting Anonymous: For those upset about their pictures on that blog..

Quoting misskriss10: Okay
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope that isn't how that works. After an image has been displayed online, you have three months to copyright the image. Unless the law has recently changed. If you're in the USA you have to send a file of the images to California to have them copyrighted. If you don't, it's considered public domain. Did you know that even if you're an artist, photographer, illustrator, and your art is stolen that it takes an ungodly amount of money to take someone to court over it? Even if you get that far, there is very little a judge will do to the offender. Even if the offender sells the images, you're only reimburse for the amount they sold it for. It's really a pointless process. Most cases are handled in small claims court. If you're having issues with something online, your best bet is to contact the site where the images are being uploaded/displayed and report it to that site. From there the site may remove the images, but whomever uploaded them may just start another account and re-upload them.

BTW: I didn't know til a moment ago you were talking about that blog. If people want their photos off that site they can contact google and report the images. Blogger will remove the photos.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM

wrong.

I am a photographer.

For those on that blog, and recently there has been a lot of stealing in the photography community in general. It's disgusting. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope that isn't how that works. After an image has been displayed online, you have three months to copyright the image. Unless the law has recently changed. If you're in the USA you have to send a file of the images to California to have them copyrighted. If you don't, it's considered public domain. Did you know that even if you're an artist, photographer, illustrator, and your art is stolen that it takes an ungodly amount of money to take someone to court over it? Even if you get that far, there is very little a judge will do to the offender. Even if the offender sells the images, you're only reimburse for the amount they sold it for. It's really a pointless process. Most cases are handled in small claims court. If you're having issues with something online, your best bet is to contact the site where the images are being uploaded/displayed and report it to that site. From there the site may remove the images, but whomever uploaded them may just start another account and re-upload them.

BTW: I didn't know til a moment ago you were talking about that blog. If people want their photos off that site they can contact google and report the images. Blogger will remove the photos.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:05 AM
Sure, sigh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Under the Federal Copyright Act of 1976, photographs are protected by copyright from the moment of creation. -http://www.ppa.com/about/content.cfm?ItemNumber=1720

offandon
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:09 AM

I didn't know that.  I thought if it was out there in cyberspace somewhere it was available to anyone who wanted it.  This is the reason I never post pictures of my kids on facebook.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM
I never post my work here. I use several online sites for marketing, and there's always a risk. I watermark with the copyright symbol, followed by my name and website.

Quoting offandon:

I didn't know that.  I thought if it was out there in cyberspace somewhere it was available to anyone who wanted it.  This is the reason I never post pictures of my kids on facebook.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)