Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you really understand...ETA

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am surprised at how many people on here don't take their infants and children in for their well baby check ups and their yearly physicals. 

I don't think you fully understand why they are so important. 

Well baby check ups and physicals aren't just about vaccines, they are a way to establish a baseline for that child, their average height, weight, their normal skin color, temperature..etc and as they get older their normal blood work levels. This is very important because if these change even a little, it could save a child's life. You could easily have a healthy child today and a very sick child tomorrow, having that baseline can help determine what is wrong quicker because they can see exactly what is being effected. 

Really this applies for every age, even as healthy adults we should be getting yearly physicals and blood work. My DH runs 1/2 marathons and is training for a full marathon. He eats well and exercises but at his last physical we discovered that his cholesterol was a little elevated and his blood pressure was also slightly elevated, this is genetics. Nothing to worry about right now because it is only barely elevated but he will keep an eye on it and if it starts to creep up they can put him on meds to lower it, thus preventing him from having a heart attack. Without these test we would assume that he is very healthy with nothing to worry about because of his lifestyle but that isn't always that case. 

Please, take yourself and your children in for your check ups, it could save your lives! 

This applies to dental and vision check ups as well. 

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Do your research on statins. They can do more harm than good.
sburger315
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM

yeahhhh, no thanks! 

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't have well checks in the UK but there are compulsory yearly check ups and a pre school check. Unless they have a good reason not to attend, e.g a family emergency, why would anyone not want their child to see a Dr??? We had to miss one but I rescheduled. And if I hadn't I'd have had social services (cps) at my door. I think it's a good thing because I'd be very suspicious about why someone would keep their kids away from drs. People criticize me for "being brainwashed by the government" but I have nothing to hide so I have no problem submitting to a system that could prevent another case like baby P.
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM
I know someone who had a seemingly healthy baby and discovered she had liver cancer just from an abdominal check at her three month well check. She ended up passing at 15 months, but even though it can seem pointless they can find out a lot from a simple check up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southern.momof2
by Pirate on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Honestly thats about the only time my kids see a doctor. They are very healthy and rarely need to see a doctor except their once a year check ups.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Quoting thenameshailie: I know someone who had a seemingly healthy baby and discovered she had liver cancer just from an abdominal check at her three month well check. She ended up passing at 15 months, but even though it can seem pointless they can find out a lot from a simple check up.

Exactly. My DD fell off her curve when she hit about 15 months old, that is when we knew something was wrong and started to weed through all the options. It took a little while but we eventually figured it out and she is healthy again. That baseline is so important. 

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting southern.momof2: Honestly thats about the only time my kids see a doctor. They are very healthy and rarely need to see a doctor except their once a year check ups.

That is great! My kids don't see the doctor very often either other then their yearly check ups. We don't go for every little thing. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Quoting EntrepeneurMom: We don't have well checks in the UK but there are compulsory yearly check ups and a pre school check. Unless they have a good reason not to attend, e.g a family emergency, why would anyone not want their child to see a Dr??? We had to miss one but I rescheduled. And if I hadn't I'd have had social services (cps) at my door. I think it's a good thing because I'd be very suspicious about why someone would keep their kids away from drs. People criticize me for "being brainwashed by the government" but I have nothing to hide so I have no problem submitting to a system that could prevent another case like baby P.

I wish more doctors would do that here in the states. 

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I totally agree.  My 6 & 3 yr old are about 1 month late on their physicals right now, and it's really bothering me.  My available hours & the doc's aren't matching up right now ;(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)