Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

10 Ways to Ensure Your Kid Doesn’t Get Invited to Another Playdate

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 10:22 AM
Confession time: Who would YOU choose? - CafeMom

If you could sleep with one famous person, who would it be? (for the sake of discussion, you're both single)I think pret

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM
  • 127 Replies
6 moms liked this

10 Ways to Ensure Your Kid Doesn’t Get Invited to Another Playdate

by Jill Smokler

One of the benefits to having older children is that you no longer have to be an active participant in playdates. Lily had a friend over for 48 hours last weekend, and the only time I saw them was at meal time and to say goodnight. It was glorious. They spent the whole time playing Barbies, reading, and putting on dance shows in Lily's room. Does it get any better than that?

Evan, my 6-year-old, on the other hand, is still at the age where he needs some direction and supervision during playdates. He's also at the age where his playmates need some reminding of what is proper playdate behavior and what is not. This should help ...

1. Do not walk into a clean and organized playroom and dump out every bin of toys. Unless it's a fun game and you plan on picking every last toy up and returning it to its proper home.

2. Do not go into the pantry and grab yourself a snack without asking. That was my box of Golden Grahams, kid.

3. Do not tell me that you are bored. I'm not here to entertain you. I could use some help folding this laundry, however.

4. Don't do disgusting things in front of me. I know you do them. I don't need to see them.

5. Do not track mud or snow into the house. Leave your shoes by the door. Were you raised in a barn?

6. Do not make a mess in my bathroom. Aim in the toilet. Wipe the seat. Flush. And wash your freaking hands! Well.

7. Do not ask me to watch you do 30 cartwheels or vocal performances or solo dance routines. When you do them with my kid, I'm mildly entertained. When you're doing them alone, I'm just waiting for you to finish. Or trip.

8. Do not pick on or make fun of your playdate's -- my child's -- siblings. Are you stupid?

9. Do not ask to watch TV or play video games the whole time. You are there to entertain my child; the TV can entertain him after you leave.

10. Do not ask to sleep over. I'm pretty sure we've had enough of each other.

What playdate rules would you add to this list?

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yodergirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I dont think id let my child.go on a playdate without me if she couldnt behave herself in a nice mannerly way...i would add eat what is given you. Dont be picky when foods served.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM
33 moms liked this

Geez. I don't think I would WANT my child going to this person's house. What an ass.

echoishername
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:47 AM
8 moms liked this
I was thinking the same thing. This woman sounds like a bitch.

Quoting Anonymous:

Geez. I don't think I would WANT my child going to this person's house. What an ass.

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I disagree. Lol

Quoting echoishername: I was thinking the same thing. This woman sounds like a bitch.

Quoting Anonymous:

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM
17 moms liked this
Wow... That's kinda bitchy. Especially the "You are there to entertain my child". Seriously??
That article should be called "10 ways to ensure no kid goes to your house ever again".
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting echoishername: I was thinking the same thing. This woman sounds like a bitch.

Quoting Anonymous:

Totally!
mich2.0
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JBiiirdD: I disagree. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not really the ''rules'', it's the commentary after. Well, #7 is a bit ahole-ish, but other than that it's the comments after the rules.

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure she's not saying that directly to the kiddos' face. It's a matter of respecting other people's home and their belongings. Majority of these rules are the same ones I was raised on.

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not really the ''rules'', it's the commentary after. Well, #7 is a bit ahole-ish, but other than that it's the comments after the rules.

echoishername
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Exactly. The woman sounds lazy, and like she doesn't understand kids.

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting Anonymous:

Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:57 AM
13 moms liked this

"You are there to entertain my child??????"

Like a kids friend is some hired help or something?

The most ridiculous articles get posted sometimes, I swear.

I also love how the TV is there to entertain her kid after the friend leaves.  I guess her spending time with her child is not on her to-do list.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)