Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't even know how to start a car. *edit to ask about this "emergency"*

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM
  • 380 Replies

I obviously know it involves the key and pedals.  That is as far as my knowledge extends lol.  

Oh well!  

People keep saying "in case of emergency" you need a license.  Yet no one has answered what emergency scenerio would make a license a vital thing to know?

Seriously.  Please tell me, in what emergency situation would I just absolutely NEED to have the ability to drive?  And realistically, how likely is it to happen to justify the time (years), effort and money it requires to get a license.  

Even with this ability, in this emergency, are you presuming ability to drive = owning a car?  Even with the ability to drive, I would never buy a car.  It's wasted money where I live.

EDit to clarify:  I am from Toronto.  Ambulances are $45 (I had previously said $60, but I checked the website, they must have changed the price since I last used one in 2011).  We have a graduated license in Ontario, you need your g1 for a certain amount of time, before a g2 for a certain amount of time, then a G(full license).  Those keep getting asked over and over, so I'm answering them here.

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM
Y dont u drive?
.Skittles.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Why? 

TammyKEJ
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:53 AM
2 moms liked this

sooo youve never been IN a car

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM
5 moms liked this
Shit I sometimes dream about living somewhere that I would never need a car but then I realize how much I enjoy doing things on my own schedule and not having to rely on public transportation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM
3 moms liked this

Even if you don't drive on a regular basis you should know the basics. 

An emergency is not usually the best time to figure it out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
What?! I knew how to start a car by like 5 and could drive by 10. What planet do you live on?
JoanahLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:55 AM
33 moms liked this

You must live somewhere with awesome public transit.  Thats cool. If you really have no reason to need to drive, not knowing how is not a problem, but I feel like everyone should at least know enough to get into a car and drive themselves to help or away from a dangerous situation. 

My father taught all us girls how to drive standards "in case your boyfriend turns out to be a prick and you need to leave his ass on the side of the road and drive his truck home.  Don't worry, daddy will return it to him for you!" LOLOLOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Ummm... what?
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:55 AM
6 moms liked this
Well, using the pedals when starting the car depends on what you're driving. Mine is an automatic, so I don't touch the pedals until I have to shift into gear..
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
You turn the key.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)