Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Period during surgery?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

I'm having surgery on the 24th, right when I'm due to start my period.  Call me silly, but I'm worrying myself sick over this.  I can't reschedule, it's a pretty major surgery and my OS only does this particular one once a month, so I would have to wait till the end of May if I rescheduled.  Any ideas? Advice? Something I shouldn't even worry about?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:14 AM
It makes no difference. They'll tell you just not to use a tampon.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:14 AM
What's the surgery?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:16 AM

What kind of surgery? If it isn't female surgery, wear a tampon. Let them know ahead of time that you are on your period (even if you haven't fully started yet) and that you are wearing a tampon. If it is say surgery for your knee, no one will care. Just make sure if you have not started yet that you take the tampon out right after surgery. Having it in for a few hours with out blood wont hurt, but leaving it in any longer could lead to TSS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Suprascapular nerve decompression.  The surgery will be about 4 hours long.

Quoting katemckenzie: What's the surgery?

katemckenzie
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:16 AM
What should she use then? Every surgery I've had, I had to be completely nude under my gown so they could insert a catheter.

Quoting Leissaintexas: It makes no difference. They'll tell you just not to use a tampon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:17 AM

I can't wear tampons, so I would have to wear a pad during surgery.

Quoting Anonymous:

What kind of surgery? If it isn't female surgery, wear a tampon. Let them know ahead of time that you are on your period (even if you haven't fully started yet) and that you are wearing a tampon. If it is say surgery for your knee, no one will care. Just make sure if you have not started yet that you take the tampon out right after surgery. Having it in for a few hours with out blood wont hurt, but leaving it in any longer could lead to TSS.

katemckenzie
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Consult your doctor. That's an awful long time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Suprascapular nerve decompression.  The surgery will be about 4 hours long.

Quoting katemckenzie: What's the surgery?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM

They allowed me to keep a pad on and my undies when I had my surgery.

Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Sanitary bed pads are a pretty standard thing in an OR. you didn't think they'd do surgery on an unprotected table did you?
Quoting katemckenzie: What should she use then? Every surgery I've had, I had to be completely nude under my gown so they could insert a catheter.

Quoting Leissaintexas: It makes no difference. They'll tell you just not to use a tampon.
TammyKEJ
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM

lol, i was ON my period when i had to have an endoscopy done. Had a tampon in and everything. Doc didnt bat an eyelash.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)