Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make rice and beans?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Seeing as meatless meals and beans are a popular topic tonight, I'm reaching out for help. I need simple recipes that aren't spicy. No one in my house eats spicy food and it upsets my stomach.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I dunno.. I'd pinterest recipes.. So here's a BUMP!
JoanahLee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I do rice the regular old way... pot, water, fire, wait about 20 minutes. 

I do my beans in the crock pot.  Rinse dried beans, put them in the crock pot (no soaking or precooking, just dry beans rinsed and straight in), fill the crock pot with water, cut an onion in half and drop both halves in, cut a whole head of garlic in half and throw the big side in, a couple bay leaves, some cumin to taste and pepper but NO SALT! (don't salt uncooked beans, it makes the skins rubbery!).  Turn it on high and give it 4-8 hours depending on the beans and quantity (charts can be found online). 

I usually keep the rice and beans separate until I dish them up because they store and reheat so differently. 

Don't forget that there are tons of variety in rice out there... you can make that side of the dish more interesting too. 

britmichele
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I make my rice in chicken broth with diced potatoes and tomatoes. Beans also can be made in broth for extra flavor or water is fine with lots of garlic and, chili powder
julie515
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Are you looking for meatless meals or this dish in particular?
NowImAMom...
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:53 AM
I make boil in bag rice, open a can of black beans and rinse them off, and mix the two together. I add butter sometimes, but usually plain. My bf added some flavor to it, I think with garlic powder and maybe something else, and it was delicious so I need to find out what he did. Not spicy, I don't like spicy.
draven3107
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:57 AM

We had red beans and rice tonight. I cooked 2 lbs of red beans and added some thyme, chili powder chopped onion, garlic,red pepper, bay leaf and some chicken base( along with a few other spices) also used a bell pepper. I did add smoked sausage but it is not needed. We eat pinto beans and rice and navy or great northern beans with ham and rice . Spiced about the same way.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:06 AM

well I am Puerto Rican so when you say rice and beans, I do black beans and white rice.  I mix the black beans, with diced onions, crushed tomatoes, some garlic, black pepper and a can of tomato sauce.  I also smash the beans some for a thicker blend.

acrogodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:40 AM
I am Puerto Rican. My rice and beans recipe is simple to me.

I buy a can of Goya Red Kidney beans (the 15 oz.can), an 8 oz can of Goya tomato sauce, two packets of Goya Sazon, one packet of Goya Chicken Bullion powder, oregano, black pepper, minced garlic, onions and peppers (fresh or frozen), and pitted olives with capers and pimientos.

I sauté the onions, peppers, minced garlic and olives in extra virgin olive oil. As that is sautéing, you open the can of tomato sauce, drain the can of beans. Then you add the seasonings and packets to the veggies before adding the beans to sauté. Once it is sautéd properly, you add in the tomato sauce. Then you add in three cups of rice and stir it well before covering it with 4.5 cups of water. You let the water boil down to just over the rice before lowering the flame and covering the pot. Let the water evaporate for about 25-30 minutes and then fluff the rice with a fork. Voila!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)