Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you wake your child to use the bathroom?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

I was a bed wetter as a kid. It was awful and mom was neglectful anyway so when I woke up wet, I would get a towel and bring it back to my bed and put it over the wet spot. No one really ever helped me, and it was common in my family as well as being common for dyslexics.

Anyway, my son is so much like me when I was a child. He's been potty trained for almost two years but sometimes he wets the bed at night. It happens more often when he's really super tired, on antihistamines, or when he's sick, but sometimes it just happens. I go in to his bedroom 2 hours after he goes to bed and I'm take him to pee. Then I take him again 2 hours later. I also cut off liquids 1 1/2 hours before bedtime. 

He has a water proof mattress pad on his bed, and when he does wet the bed (if I dont' get there in time) I give hims a quick bath and change his sheets and mattress pad.

I can't even express how much better it would have been for me if my parents did half of that stuff for me. 

So I was just wondering, is this common for bed wetters? Is this pretty much what all parents of bed wetters do, or do I over compensate because of my childhood?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
seksen
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not sure here is a bump :)
Heisenberg
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I know a lot of people use diapers, good nights, or pull ups, but DS has sensitivities to a lot of them and the pull ups that don't give him a rash, just leak.

Quoting seksen: I'm not sure here is a bump :)

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I never woke up my son. If he wet the bed, I just changed the sheets and his pajamas and he went back to bed, he didn't need a bath from a little urine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids aren't consistent bed wetters. My ds5 never has accidents. My dd3 has them occasionally, I just wipe her down, change her clothes, and her sheets and go back to bed.so to answer your question, no I don't wake them up to go.
Heisenberg
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:06 AM

My son is always covered if I miss him. It's his belly and legs. He'd stink in the morning without a bath.

Quoting lenashark:

No, I never woke up my son. If he wet the bed, I just changed the sheets and his pajamas and he went back to bed, he didn't need a bath from a little urine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you also tried the bed pads by good nights where he just lays on it?   Most that i know are not as vigilant as you are so i think in a way you are trying to make sure he can outgrow it w/o having too many bad feelings.  Luckily I do not have a bed wetter myself but have cared for children that were.  I would just wake them up once during the night and that was enough for them.

Heisenberg
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:07 AM

My daughter has never wet the bed in her life. I'm so glad I didn't pass it down to both.

Quoting Anonymous: My kids aren't consistent bed wetters. My ds5 never has accidents. My dd3 has them occasionally, I just wipe her down, change her clothes, and her sheets and go back to bed.so to answer your question, no I don't wake them up to go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter has had two accidents and I wiped her off with a wet wash cloth and changed her clothing and sheets.

I don't wake her up though she will wake up if she has to pee. The only times she has wet the bes she had the flu.
Heisenberg
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I was waking him up just once for a while, but then I get the screaming and crying at 3 or 4am. :( sometimes. It's pretty selfish, I just want to sleep through the night myself. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you also tried the bed pads by good nights where he just lays on it?   Most that i know are not as vigilant as you are so i think in a way you are trying to make sure he can outgrow it w/o having too many bad feelings.  Luckily I do not have a bed wetter myself but have cared for children that were.  I would just wake them up once during the night and that was enough for them.

tinybluemoon
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I wake DS1 and DS2 up if they haven't gone by the time I go to bed, because they usually get up at around 12ish and history has proven that if they don't get up to pee they will just pee in their sleep.

DD2 and DS3 I just leave, as it's redundent and unpredictable with them. They don't often wet the bed, but when they do it doesn't make a difference whether they've gone already or not. It's just random, can't be prevented like the twins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)