Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
The house we are currently renting is being foreclosed on. (I wrote a post about this about a week ago.)
The house is going on the market tomorrow. We got another letter in the mail Monday, saying we should call and see what our options are. We're allowed to move if we choose to. Or stay.
We have the option of renting a 3 bed, 2 bath house with a fenced in backyard (we have two small kids and a dog, so that's helpful). Rent is $1100. We currently pay 1350 for a 3b/2bath.
The problem is, it's in my old neighborhood (on the same street) My parents moved specifically because the school systems weren't that great (where were living now they're not that great either- but were limited to certain areas because of DHs company vehicle) and the neighborhood was getting bad.
That was over twenty years ago, though.
My thoughts are that we could save that $250 a month and be able to save for a down payment on our own home, or use it for a vacation, or whatever.
WWYD?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NowImAMom...
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Check put how the school systems and neighborhood are now, things may have changed. If you find them acceptable, move, if you don't, then don't. lol
Fulgent.Drinker
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:21 AM

For me if my kids were in public school, the school system they would be attending would be the deciding factor on if I moved there.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Most likely, DS would have to move to another school (the elementary school I went to, actually) and that makes me apprehensive because he's SNs. He already has an IEP there (and had one when we lived in NC) and he's already had to switch from one teacher to another because his teacher was promoted to doing something else, and he's started to regress. I don't want to pull him from that school to go to another one...
DD starts kinder in September (missed the cut off by 12 days- she'll be six like two weeks into kinder) so I'm not worried about her.

Quoting NowImAMom...: Check put how the school systems and neighborhood are now, things may have changed. If you find them acceptable, move, if you don't, then don't. lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM
South Florida schools aren't that great. Certain ones are (Coral Springs, WPB, etc) but WPB is too far away and Coral Springs, DH isn't allowed to park his work truck. We plan on moving to another state once our oldest child starts middle school. He's currently in 1st. The elementary schools aren't that big of a problem, but the middle and high schools are terrible. (That's when my parents moved my brother and I)

Quoting Fulgent.Drinker:

For me if my kids were in public school, the school system they would be attending would be the deciding factor on if I moved there.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:26 AM

I would say my kids school district is far more important than a vacation....but everyone has their priorities...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Because that's EXACTLY what I said.
FFS. I used that as ONE example, yes, but, just take that one thing and run with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would say my kids school district is far more important than a vacation....but everyone has their priorities...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Move.

Can't you check on the school districts?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:31 AM

one of two examples.   for us, that wouldn't even be in the top 100 things to spend saved money on when we weren't even in a house.  

You can save for a house, put it in the bank for emergencies, put in your kids college fund.....   but again, some people have vacation come to mind....whatever.   its your money, your kids, your life.....

Quoting Anonymous: Because that's EXACTLY what I said.
FFS. I used that as ONE example, yes, but, just take that one thing and run with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Do you have an option of putting an offer on the house you're in now?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM
It's a bad school system for middle and high schools. My son is in 1st and my DD starts kinder this year. We plan on moving out of the state completely before our oldest enters middle school.
My son is SN, so that's another reason I'm apprehensive for moving. We'd be moving where the school he's at is 2.5 miles away. (We currently live 1.2 miles away) ... So he may be able to stay in that school...
Otherwise, he'd go to my old elem school. (Less than a mile from the new house if we move in it)

Quoting Anonymous: Move.

Can't you check on the school districts?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)