Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Enough is enough

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I get along well with my 2 SILs, one of whom graduates college this year.
Their dad however is boorish, racist, misogynistic and has zero patience for kids and is mean to my niece and my DD.
Then there's my MIL who is kind, patient, loving and great with the kids. But she has some looney relatives that take politics too far and get nasty if you don't agree with them. We had a big internet fight and stopped talking to them.
My dh wants to throw his sis a grad party inviting relatives from both sides of his family ( his dad's relatives are great). But I don't want to invest all this time and money when his dad is sure to ruin it, his mother's side will either ignore us altogeher or start a fight.
Not my idea of fun. Hubby says to suck it up because it's not about me. I realize that. But why should I spend all this time and money on an event that is going to be a nightmare?

I already had plans for that weekend to take my DD camping with her troop. I told DH that I wasn't going to give up the chance to have fun with DD just to be treated like sh#% by his family. I don't want to fight with my hubby. He's not in denial about his dad and relatives, he knows they'll be a-holes. But his sister lives across the country so he wants to make her happy.

What would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

what if the roles were reversed ? what would you expect him to do ? I say suck it up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM
He loves his sister and that is important. She wont graduate again but there will be other camping trips.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Bump
TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM
What does his sister want?
ecerka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:08 AM
I'd support y husband's decision to throw his sister her graduation party. It's one day and it only happens once in her life.
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:09 AM
I wouldn't do it. I would buy her a present and be done with it
LadyVoldemort
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

There will be more camping trips, his sister only graduates once.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Pick a dif weekend for the party. I would never cancel my dds camping trip.
mommie2madison
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Why should you do it - because it's for his sister, and as you stated, you get along well with her.  Don't worry about the others - do it for her.  

Fulgent.Drinker
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Suck it up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)