Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should I do here?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM
  • 6 Replies

Back in 1993 I was best friends with a girl and she made me godmother of her baby girl born Dec 93. IN 94, a "friend" of mine got jealous and told her some really bad lies about me and she cut me off with no chance to defend myself. We didnt speak for almost 18 years. We finally  reconnected via Face book 2 years ago and even thos she is clear across the country we have been able to clear up the bullshit and move on. ABout 6 months ago she shared that my goddaughter was pregnant and how happy she was that "our" baby was going to be a mommy. I asked her if she still considered me her godmother and she said I had never stopped, and she had told the girl about me growing up. I asked if I could friend her on FB and she said of course. So I did and I have had some wonderful conversations with the girl, and we have really made a special connection. Well, I messaged the mom about getting the girl a really nice baby gift, like a top of the line car seat or stroller, because I didnt want to step on the toes of any grammas that want to do this. I messaged her over a week ago and have not heard back, and she has been on FB several time...would you ask the girl what she needed and just proceed or message the mom again? I dont want to offend her by maybe getting her daughter a nicer gift than she will be able to. I know she is struggling right now...

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
WillowRayne
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Do what you want to do.
Serabeth06
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Ask the daughter what she needs, then remessage mom and ask if it's ok if you get her daughter X gift because she said she needs it. Best advice I could give on that. :/

shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM

thanks, that sounds good. I am just really emotional about this whole thing and dont want to lose my goddaughter again

Quoting Serabeth06:

Ask the daughter what she needs, then remessage mom and ask if it's ok if you get her daughter X gift because she said she needs it. Best advice I could give on that. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I find it weird how she cut you off for 18 years, then comes back and says she's always considered you the godmother... that doesn't make sense. 

And if she won't answer your question about a nice gift, then just talk to the daughter about what she wants and get it for her. 

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Why not ask if she has a registry, that way you know what is on there is ok to get? 

shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

she cut me off, but I still sent her a birthday card every year, finally after 18 years she responded. This was two years ago and we have been in contact ever since. I was surprised that she said that as well, but I wasnt going to look a gifthorse in the mouth. I am happy as hell to have my goddaughter back

Quoting Anonymous:

I find it weird how she cut you off for 18 years, then comes back and says she's always considered you the godmother... that doesn't make sense. 

And if she won't answer your question about a nice gift, then just talk to the daughter about what she wants and get it for her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)