Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Your Kids Cook?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

My 12 year makes me nervous, but is learning. She makes a killer grilled cheese and her scrambled eggs aren't that bad. What do your kids cook? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM

My kids have always helped me prep food, but not really cook it. But my oldest son is 11 now, and showing a great deal of interest in cooking. He says he wants to be a chef when he grows up. So we're off to get him a cookbook this weekend!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM

My kids each cook one meal a week.

They are 12, 15 and 17.  They have to plan the meal, budget it within the grocery budget, make a list of items they need for me and then prepare it.

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Not alone, yet. But, my 8 yr. old loves to help in the kitchen. We are going on vacation and I mentioned that they have a cooking class and she asked if we could do it. I love to see her take an interest in it. 

FlutterbyMom3
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM
My teenager makes pasta, mac and cheese, eggs and small stuff like that.
lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Yes! 17 year old host son is like a gourmet chef-He will cook 3 hour meals from scratch! My 20 yr old son has extensive special needs but he LOVES helping and he can make cereal, sandwhich on his own-

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:56 AM
My 16 yo loves to cook. He makes dinner about once a week. His specialty is chicken quesadillas. He's really cute....he chops vegetables and goes thru the spices to find exactly what he wants. One night, he made hamburger patties with grilled onions, green peppers and pineapple. I would have never thought to throw pineapple in the pan...but it was really good.
caito
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:56 AM

My kid is 5. She helps me mix the dough for bread.

Fulgent.Drinker
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:06 AM

My kids started helping with little things like tearing lettuce, washing produce, stirring dry ingredients and stuff at around 3 ( just to get them involved and interested).

They were helping make bread, make cookie dough, and mix all recipes by 5, could help flip pancakes and cheese toasties. 

By 7  they were allowed to cook anything unrestricted and pretty much unsupervised except that which needed fried. ( we still do not fry food - YUCK. ) yes they had enough sense to call us when pots of hot food needed moved from one place to another.

We taught them young all issues of kitchen safety. 

They all love to cook still and my older sons thank me all the time for what they know, because it seem a lot of girls aren't taught now days and my son said they would have starved the first 2 years of their relationships.

NikLvsNick
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Not yet, but they are learning. They watch me cook every day and my DD asks me a lot of questions on what I'm doing. They help with putting ingredients in the pan and stirring. DS wants to be a chef and eventually own his own restaurant. They're only 8 and 9 years old right now. They'll be able to help more the older they get.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Yesterday my 12-year-old son made:

Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup

Welsh Rarebit

Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon/Walnut dressing.

He wants to be a chef.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)