Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blizzard and school??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

Our district normally has 1 snow day a year for ice. We are up to 9 days this winter. The last day was this past Friday when the weather was 33 degrees (melts weather), the roads were clean and clear, and there was no reason to cancel. 

Now today, we were expecting snow. Got around 5" over night. School didn't even delay. I tried to take my husband to work- took my 45 minutes to not even get halfway. He works 25 minutes away from where we live. The highway was horrendous, so we turned around to come back home- the side roads were far worse, and main roads were not much better than the side roads. 

By the time we got home, there were people on Facebook talking about a us accident in town. A bus slid off the road into the ditch, and came to a stop leaning precariously over. It didn't tip over, thankfully, but it was not upright. 

I am so over this winter. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:12 AM
I think we are on our 3rd or 4th day here. We're expecting more on Sunday, so we'll see about Monday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:13 AM

We are supposed to get a big storm tonight- what we have gotten already was just a "small" storm before the big one. I doubt we'll have school tomorrow. 

Quoting Anonymous: I think we are on our 3rd or 4th day here. We're expecting more on Sunday, so we'll see about Monday.

sunnysideup89
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Im just curious, when the schools close down so many days a year and you work, does your employer get mad at all or say anything that you're missing too many days? Because I live in Cali...
*you meaning anyone who works and feels inclined to answer* 

disneymom2two
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM

We're on our second snowday today.  I have no plans to go anywhere.  DH is at work still (he started yesterday at 7 am); not sure when he'll get home.  We're supposed to get more on Sunday.  I'm definitely over this winter as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM
My job closes too. Even so, no. I have plenty of vacation and personal days.

Quoting sunnysideup89:

Im just curious, when the schools close down so many days a year and you work, does your employer get mad at all or say anything that you're missing too many days? Because I live in Cali...

loquacious
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I'm done, too!  Dd hasn't had a full week of school since before Christmas break!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Well, my husband is management, and he has the PTO to take time off when needed. Aside from that, he also had a medical problem last fall, which caused him to pass out with no apparent medical reason. Because of that, he is not allowed to drive. After that happened, his office told him he is free to remote from home on really nasty days, so we have some wiggle room. 

However, if he worked anywhere else, he would have to take PTO for any time off, and if he is out, then yeah, it wouldn't fly. He works for a great office that will even shut down if the weather is bad, or close early if it is going o b bad late in be day. 

Quoting sunnysideup89:

....ClvrScn.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM
I have a before school private sitter. When school closes she keeps ds all day.

Today, I called off. The roads are too bad to go to work. I would have had to take main streets as Oreos if the highway are closed. It would have taken 3 hours to get there

My boss told nee to stay warm and if I can get some work done at home, he'd appreciate it. If not, enjoy my day with my kids

Quoting sunnysideup89:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Only diference between the top and bottom, is that the top photo happened over the cushy of 2 nights back in '78, and the bottom is our accumulation for this winter so far. With the temps being so cold, little has melted off. 

loquacious
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I'm a traveling respiratory therapist.  When there is no school or the roads are bad I have to rearrange my schedule and make numerous phone calls to the facilities expecting me.

Quoting sunnysideup89:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)