Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am MAKING my son play sports

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM
  • 52 Replies

It's true. Idc what though. So my question is, what age did your kids start playing organized team sports? He's played soccer for 2 years now, but I want to give him the option to try baseball and basketball. 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM

All my boys started at 5 with wrestling, baseball, and football.

mich2.0
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Where did you find the leagues? I don't think I want him playing football, but he really wants to so we'll see. :/

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Where did you find the leagues? I don't think I want him playing football, but he really wants to so we'll see. :/

The city/town has always had league. Check your recreation dept, pop warner, babe ruth baseball, or sometimes they bring flyers home from school. My boys love football and have enjoyed it over the years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I would let my children explore things, but I would never make them do anything they didn't want to try.
mich2.0
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Quoting Anonymous: I would let my children explore things, but I would never make them do anything they didn't want to try.

He has to try, but he gets to choose what he tries and has to finish out the season. If he hates it, he doesn't have to do it again next season.

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Does it have to be sports specifically or can it be any extra curricular activity that he may have an interest in?

mich2.0
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Quoting JulyBabies:

Does it have to be sports specifically or can it be any extra curricular activity that he may have an interest in?

He can participate in other extra curriculars too, but he has to play a sport as well.

highlandmum
by Spunky on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM

My son started soccer at 3, along with learn to skate.  He started hockey at age 4, then football at age 6, and box lacrosse at age 7.  He is now 8 and plays hockey and box lacrosse.

3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Wait -your making him play but you want to give him the "option" to play basketball and baseball?

Anyway outside and active is good at every age.. they need to develop their motor skills starting at a young age. Doesnt have to be organized sports though.

mich2.0
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

The city/town has always had league. Check your recreation dept, pop warner, babe ruth baseball, or sometimes they bring flyers home from school. My boys love football and have enjoyed it over the years.

Thanks! My hesitancy with football is the number of injuries in the sport. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)