Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sometimes I feel like we are over scheduled....but not sure where to cut...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

My oldest DD is a compettive dancer...she is at the studio at least 5 days a week.  She does tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop, modern, lyrical, acrobatics, and a tone and conditioning class.  Every year we intend to cut back...but it never happens.

DS plays baseball and runs track.  He is on a tournament team and is very good.  He has practice 3-4 days a week and games or meets 2-3 days a week.

YDD is a gymnast...also competitive.  She is at the gym 5 days a week. 

The kids are all thriving.  They love competition.  They have excellent grades...part of their competitive nature.  They keep up with the rooms and chores and homework.  All of their activities are within a mile of each other so drop off and pick up is easy.  BUT some nights...I just want to be home.  I want to sit down and have a regular meal with my family.  I love watching them dance, play, compete, or whatever.  I love the sense of pride they have in their chosen activity.  I love the devotion.  Anytime we bring up cutting back they all freak. 

Right now my oldest catches the bus from school and goes to her dance studio.  DS has track after school and then rides with a friend to baseball.  YDD goes to the gymnastics afterschool program.  I get home, make dinner, pack it up, and deliver to each kid...somedays we all sit at the baseball field for 30 minutes and eat together.  DH meets us and we rotate as to who we are watching each day...Thursdays all practices are closed...no parents allowed...so we have date nights. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM

bump

soon2bmomof2grs
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM

That does sound like a lot. Sorry I got no helpful advise for you, but here is a bump :)

2pink1blue
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Our life is very similar.  

My oldest dances 6-8 hours a week, my middle guy takes violin and tennis and the little DD dances 2 hours a week and is on the pre-team at our gym (2-3 times a week).  On the weekends the girls ski competively and DS is on a snowboard team.  

Dinners are difficult but we somehow make it work 5 out of 7 nights.  DH also gets home late on DD1's late dance nights (M/W) so they eat togther as I am getting the others ready for bed.  

After ski season, the weekens slow down a bit b/c we don't travel every Friday but baseball season starts. DS and little DD both play and DH coaches so the craziness just changes its uniform.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Quoting 2pink1blue:

Our life is very similar.  

My oldest dances 6-8 hours a week, my middle guy takes violin and tennis and the little DD dances 2 hours a week and is on the pre-team at our gym (2-3 times a week).  On the weekends the girls ski competively and DS is on a snowboard team.  

Dinners are difficult but we somehow make it work 5 out of 7 nights.  DH also gets home late on DD1's late dance nights (M/W) so they eat togther as I am getting the others ready for bed.  

After ski season, the weekens slow down a bit b/c we don't travel every Friday but baseball season starts. DS and little DD both play and DH coaches so the craziness just changes its uniform.  

I keep waiting for the summer.  Things will be better.  I retire from the military and will be home full time.  All three are going to daycamps for their chosen activity.  DD1 is going to an intense ballet camp.  DS will be at baseball camp.  and DD2 will be working with her gymnastics team.

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Im in a slow tme right now, between both boys we're only at baseball practice 4 days a week.

But come march we'll be baseball 7 days a week through october. At any given time they will be on 2-3 teams each.

It gets tough, but only for us. Not for the kids. They love it. They live for it. When one of them has a day off he's at either his brothers game or a friends game.

I figure it doesnt really matter what it looks like from the outside.

If my kids ever come to me and say its too much, thats when ill revisit the time we put in.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Im in a slow tme right now, between both boys we're only at baseball practice 4 days a week.

But come march we'll be baseball 7 days a week through october. At any given time they will be on 2-3 teams each.

It gets tough, but only for us. Not for the kids. They love it. They live for it. When one of them has a day off he's at either his brothers game or a friends game.

I figure it doesnt really matter what it looks like from the outside.

If my kids ever come to me and say its too much, thats when ill revisit the time we put in.

My kids are very supportive of each other.  They are each others biggest fans.  My son has sat through so many dance competitions that he can pretty much tell what their scores are going to be after each perfomance.  He has been to so many gymnastics competitions that he can tell when technique is wrong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)