Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son's school is teaching the kids about "good touch bad touch"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

What are your thoughts on this?

I completely undertand they want children aware of their body parts and to know when something isn't right. They need to know that if Uncle pervy touches them, that they need to tell. 

But the thing that baffles me is that my children's school district waits until 3rd grade to teach children this. Also, why do they think it's their business to even go over the subject? Shouldn't that be a parent's obligation?

I guess it makes sense to teach them since some parents don't think to teach their kids that. But still, 3rd grade? Why so late? Why not teach them in kindergarten when they start school?

I have been teaching both of my kids that since they were 2, when they had to go to daycare. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM

bump

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
They should be teaching it in Pre K.

loquacious
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM

When I was a kid the police chief came to our school every year and went over this with the entire third grade.  I don't know why they wait that long, but I have no problem with it

DusterMommy
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM
I have zero problem with a good touch/bad touch lesson being taught in school. Same goes for sex ed. I have and will be teaching my daughters about both subjects, but it isn't going to hurt her to have it reiterated at school. Also, there are other kids who will never get either "talks" at home, so I think it's good for them to get them at school.

3rd grade is awfully late, though.
3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I don't know why they wait until 3rd grade.  Kindergartners are aware enough to understand that no one should be touching the parts of your body covered by a bathing suit. 

I think the schools should go over the subject, because what if the parents are the ones who's giving the "bad touch?" Or like you said, just never bothered to tell their kids.  I'd rather caution on the side of child safety on this one. 

mommyrustina
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM

They are probably trying to be as accommodating as possible while trying to keep kids safe. If they started in Kindergarten, too many crazy parents would lose their minds. While I agree that it is a topic parents should be teaching at home, what happens when the parents are the ones doing the abusing? So the schools absolutely have to teach it at some point, but they have to do it at a time when kids are old enough to fully understand the lesson and won't make parents freak out. And yes, younger kids can understand the lesson, but probably not in a lesson format that the school has to present it in. 

Hanab818
by ThePonds on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I would be fine with it. We teach our oldest that and hes only 3.

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I love that they teach this. My girls got it in first or second grade. So far my first grader hasn't had it. Yes, they parents should. But some don't and it's always great to hear it from someone else. We all know who kids listen better to someone else and the are more app to ask questions.

xredstarsx
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM
I remember learning that in the 3rd grade too. That does seem very late. My dd has known since 2 that people shouldn't touch her there.
happymomma13
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Where I lived, we had an officer that all the kids called "Little Bear". He was very well known and liked in our small town.
Well he was the guy that would teach us about good touch and bad touch.

He ended up impregnating a 15 year old. He was "helping" her.

Just wanted to share that bit of info! lol.
But yeah, 3rd grade is late for that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)