Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Dating Rules

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
SD has her first boyfriend. We've had many talks over expectations, and appropriate dating behavior. I'm just curious if I missed anything.

What are some of your teen dating rules? What are some rules you had to deal with as a teen. I want to hear them all. Good, bad, ridiculous. What ones did you think were unfair? What ones had the biggest impact? What ones didn't make sense THEN, But as an adult looking back, now you get it?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Honestly I didn't have any rules.  Most of the guys I "dated" were my friends to start so dating them was a more physical continuation of our friendship activities (hanging out, listening to music, going to the movies, etc.).  The times I went on formal dates where a guy asked me out and picked me up at my door were stiff and awkward for me.  My parents never gave me any rules.  I always came home that night and I never worried about getting pregnant.   

TheSilence
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
No dating until 15. No private dates until 17. Meaning all dates are as a group or in our home or his/her home or the parents come along as a chaperone though they will sit at their own table or further back at the theater.
No bedrooms and no closed doors.
No engagements until after graduation.

These were the rules I had while dating dh and they are the rules that my sister is now living with.
They worked for us.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

No hanging out completely alone (group dates or parents home)

Be honest about where you will be and when you will be home

Clear all drivers (other than parents) in advance

The FIRST TIME I see him disrespecting my daughter, myself, my husband, or his own parents, the relationship is over. My daughter deserves better than that.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM

We don't allow our children to date until they have graduated high school.....here's a BUMP!

alexsmomma06
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

The only dating tule that I had was the one that drove me to sleep around which was "no dating" period. It only made me want to date more, so I started going out with friends only to meet up with a guy later. Most teens that have a no dating rule that I know of, also do this.

Our rules for our daughters

No single dates until 16.

If he disrespects me, DH, our daughters, our home, etc He will no longer be allowed in my home.

That's basically it.

davnrori
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

No alone dates until 16, and then only if I have been introduced to both the guy and his parents.

Be where you say you're going to be and be home when you're supposed to be home.

Not allowed to be in the bedrooms or in a room with a closed door.

If the guy (or girl) doesn't come to the door to pick you up, you're not leaving with him/her. Sitting in the car and beeping or sending a text is disrespectful, imo.

lillettemomma
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM
I had no rules when it came to dating..... I was 12 when I had my first serious long term relationship.... we were allowed to hang out alone in the basement till 11 pm on weekends.....at 15 I could have boys over night or go to a boys house overnight (my boyfriend was in college and i was allowed to go to his dorm for the weekend at 16) and by 17 we were allowed to have boys move in.... at one point it was me df my son our daughter my 2 sisters and youngest sisters boyfriend and my mom and dad living at our house.....I was the first to go get pregnant of my sisters and I was 23......I will allow my girls to date at 12ish (the are developmentally delayed so that may change) as they are going to do so anyway and I would rather know about it..... and I will allow boys to come over..... and sleep over in my home at around 16
AZHOTMOM
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I am pretty lenient.  I don't really have any rules for dating. Except answer your phone or I will come and get you and it doesn't matter where you are GPS will point me in the right direction. And be home on time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)