Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i have a hospice related question for anyone who may know!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
My 58yr old grandpa (moms dad) was admitted to the hospital about 3 weeks ago. He had ibternal bleeding, liver and kidney failure mostly due to decades of alcoholism.
He was just transfered to a nursing home and put on hospice. I asked my mom what this meant for him and she said "hospice is end of life care". I didnt want to pry her for any more information.

My question is this, how close to death does a person have to be to be put on hospice?
I know he could pull through and beat this, just as he did when the doctors told us he had 10% chance of survival when he was admitted.

I truly dont mean to sound morbid. I justdont know what to expect and I dont feel comfortable making my mom answer this question for me.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Six months or less.
WesAndNicksMom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:33 AM
There's no amount of time it's for and sometimes people get better and don't need it. It's just there to keep them more comfortable.
FlutterbyMom3
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:34 AM
I don't know the time frame. We had hospice come in for my father. He passed 7 days later.
southern.momof2
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Exactly this.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom: There's no amount of time it's for and sometimes people get better and don't need it. It's just there to keep them more comfortable.
mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Hospice is for making your last days, whether they be weeks months, or I believe even years, comfortable.  It's for when you decide you're not having any more surgeries, no more chemo, you just don't want to be in any more pain.  You're ready to die.  

The only thing I disagree with, however, is hospice doesn't want you to have even a feeding tube (if you can't feed yourself), b/c they consider that lifesaving measures.  My grandma had to fight for my grandpa to have a feeding tube.  She kept arguing, "He's okay to die, he doesn't want the doctors to keep cutting him open...but he doesn't want to starve to death."  They did give him a feeding tube.  He died a few days later, but at least he wasn't starving.

southern.momof2
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM
This is not true.

Quoting thefiregoddess: Six months or less.
svolkov
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM
This. They won't put a person on hospice unless their projected life expectancy is less than 6 mo

Quoting thefiregoddess: Six months or less.
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

The doctor that officially calls hospice is supposed to believe they have six months or less.  But there are no guarantees, could be tomorrow, he could have a year. 

MotherOF5Cuties
by Abby on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM
That's what happened with my SOs father a week later he died. Its sad.
WesAndNicksMom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM
We love hospice :-) the kids went to their grief camp this summer and loved it.

Quoting southern.momof2: Exactly this.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom: There's no amount of time it's for and sometimes people get better and don't need it. It's just there to keep them more comfortable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)