Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a bad person for not giving her money? *edits in red*

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:14 PM
  • 37 Replies

Okay so, I know I come off as rude, sarcastic, and mean on here. However, in my personal life, I try to be nice to everyone.

This past Friday, that changed.

Some back story:

My husband and I take our daughter to this chinese place every other Friday night. We've done it for months. A few weeks ago, this woman started popping up outside the strip mall where the chinese place is, asking for money.

It's not the asking for money that bothers me. We helped her a couple times, but then when I saw her start taking it and going to the bingo hall a few stores down, I told DH to stop.

Here's what really bugs me. It's the reasons WHY she needs the money. They change up every damn time she asks. The first two times we helped her, it was because she needed gas money. That last time was when I saw her go into the bingo hall, so I told DH no more.

The next time after that, she tried to say she had lung cancer. I asked her where she was getting her treatments, she said the local hospital. I knew she was lying because our local hospital doesn't do that, they send them to a hospital in a different county. I told her sorry, but she had to ask someone else.

Fast forward to this past Friday. We come out of the chinese place, she speeds up to us in her car, and says this:

"Do you folks mind spotting me a twenty, I'm homeless."

It was dark, so I guess she didn't recognze us until I said something.

I told her "Ma'am, with all due respect, we've helped you out two times.  You have told us your car is out of gas, you told me you had cancer then lied about where you were getting the treatments, and now you're telling me you're homeless. I'm not giving you a dime. There's a homeless shelter in town. Go try there." Yeah, this was unneccesary, I was in a terrible mood. I admit that I could have handled this better.

She called me a bitch and that she should kick my ass, I told her to watch her mouth in front of my daughter, and to leave before I called the police.

So, I don't know if I pissed off the karma gods or whatever, but I know a liar when I see one.

I want your opinions. Am I a bad person for not giving her money? It's been in my mind ever since it happened, and I just needed to see what others thought.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amy1will
by Amethyst on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM
I dont think you are a bad person at all. She shouldn't lie and you dont have to give money to anyone you dont want to.
LadyVoldemort
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM

It's been in the back of my mind all day. At first I was like "is something bad going to happen to me now?" but now I'm like maybe this is why she's always needing money, because she keeps lying to get it.

Quoting amy1will: I dont think you are a bad person at all. She shouldn't lie and you dont have to give money to anyone you dont want to.

anotherhalf
Why would you even think that? Of course not.
suzanneyea

Just say no. Don't say things to provoke her. What if she is on drugs? She could be dangerous.

Mystic.Falls
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM

You are not a bad person. It's your money is how I see it. Even if you didn't give any money. It's great that you help people because I don't believe many do.

LadyVoldemort
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I admit I was not in the best of moods when this happened, and I could have handled it better.

Quoting suzanneyea:

Just say no. Don't say things to provoke her. What if she is on drugs? She could be dangerous.

LadyVoldemort
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:24 PM

It's just been on my mind since it happened, because in real life what I said is out of character for me.

Quoting anotherhalf: Why would you even think that? Of course not.

suzanneyea

I am the same way. Catch me in a bad mood, I will say more the necessary, lol.

Quoting LadyVoldemort:

I admit I was not in the best of moods when this happened, and I could have handled it better.

Quoting suzanneyea:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:24 PM

WOW, sounds like she is a huge basket case. That's the main reason why I won't give ANY money to anyone begging for it. If they ask for food, then that's another story. 

Aujonfire
I would've done the same thing as you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)