Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about my 5 year old.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
He has a hard time with reading and writing. I made him some flash cards with his sight words. I noticed yesterday that he cannot read them from left to right but can from right to left. So if I flip the card around to show nar and not ran. He can read it as ran. Is this sign of dyslexia?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM

He's five. If it continues I'd have him evaluated, but it's a simple mistake and he's very young. Don't overreact. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM
I'm just worried. He is on a reading scale of 0 his teacher said he should be on 2. He only knows 3 of 30 sight words.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

He's five. If it continues I'd have him evaluated, but it's a simple mistake and he's very young. Don't overreact. :)

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM
I don't know, but that's very interesting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Ds turned 6 in November and really didn't start catching on to reading/sight words till dec-jan. Now, he's a little reading machine. He used to and still sometimes does switch things around but it's gradually going away.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:31 PM

It's common at this age to do that. It's when they get to about 8/9 years old then they start to wonder about dyslexia.

spastic_poodle
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:31 PM
My daughter had similar issues but now that she's more comfortable with reading, rarely mixes things up. It may or may not develop into something. Just keep watch:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Some kids have a little harder time. He'll pick it up, just keep practicing with him. Flash cards are a great idea, maybe you could have him write out the letters and sound them out. My dad teaches that age group and he's the reading guy. He's always said that any kid can read, but some get it faster than others. Try not to worry too much. 

Quoting Anonymous: I'm just worried. He is on a reading scale of 0 his teacher said he should be on 2. He only knows 3 of 30 sight words.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM

its common at that age to make that mistake. Its also why some schools start off with games that go left to right to teach them to get the habit of it. You could probably really help him by making things like a bowl of macaroni noodles in one bowl and have him use tweezers to move them to the next bowl and count.  Just google it and I bet there will be reading ones too.

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM
He also rights backwards. Instead of adrian it is nairda. Thats normal as well?

Quoting Raeann11:

It's common at this age to do that. It's when they get to about 8/9 years old then they start to wonder about dyslexia.

mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM

he's young so it's probably too early to tell, at that age, it's relatively common for kids to exhibit this type of early reading behevior. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)