Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

surrogate has agreed to stay on life support to protect viability of our fetus

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
Even if it's of no benefit to her.

In fact, her exact words were, "Don't pull the plug! I might wake up later!" Lol.

Although, it's made me wonder about who has legal control over that hypothetical situation? Obviously, we'll have a legal contract, but does that trump her next of kin? Hmmmmmm. That would be quite the legal situation.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AustinsMommy007
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM
That would be a mess but I think it says a lot about her that she would want to do what she could to protect your babies and at the same time fight for her own life. Hopefully that's not a situation you will have to deal with
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM

It would be up to her family unless she has a living will.  Your surrogate contract can't say what would happen to her if she died.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Our state has laws that protect a fetus, and that fetus is not genetically or legally her's. Weird scenario....

Quoting Anonymous:

It would be up to her family unless she has a living will.  Your surrogate contract can't say what would happen to her if she died.

ChicagoMimi
by Mimi on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Should that happen, who is supposed to pay the medical bill?

Insurance won't continue to pay if she is declared dead and I know you don't expect her family to pay, so are you able to pay ?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM
We would pay, obviously. That's a non-issue.

Quoting ChicagoMimi:

Insurance won't continue to pay if she is declared dead and I know you don't expect her family to pay, so are you able to pay ?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:00 PM

babies dont do well born to dead mothers...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:02 PM

dang you must be rich! i can only imagine the cost of round the clock care like that with no insurance

5 days in the hospital for me would have cost me 92,000 out of pocket had i not had insurance, and i wasnt even in a special room or needed round the clock care

Quoting Anonymous: We would pay, obviously. That's a non-issue.

Quoting ChicagoMimi:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:04 PM

did you read up on the Marlisa Munoz case? why would you want to be in a situation like that. the poor woman was rotting because the state wanted to save a baby that never had a chance

Quoting Anonymous: Our state has laws that protect a fetus, and that fetus is not genetically or legally her's. Weird scenario....

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Your baby would be physically deformed and mentally retarded if she is brain dead. A better option is to have the baby be born via C-section as long as it is past the stage of viability and if it's before the stage of viability than pulling the plug is the kindest thing you can do for both people involved, if she is indeed brain dead.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM
I agreed in my contract to do the same past a certain time (like, if I'm only 3 months along, I won't let them keep me on LS). I feel like if I am going to die anyway, I might as well give as much as I can before. My husband knows my wishes.

Surrogacy laws are very unclear and new, so most contracts wouldn't hold up in this situation if you were to fight it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)