Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moved around a lot?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
Looking for experiences on moving around a lot. My husband has a job now that is going to move us every few years. I'm not excited about it.

1. My own career could take a hit 2. What's that like for kids moving from school to school never really having roots?

His job has more promotion opportunity and bigger salary but my career is still important to me.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM
It sucks. My dh is in the military. We moved around a lot. What I want to do, career/school-wise is at a stand still right now...

my kid isn't in school yet, but I know how it is to be a kid and always changing school. When I was a kid, my parents were always moving too. I never had any long lasting friends...i always have to feel like a loner and then start from the bottom and make friends...it made me really emo in middle to high school years..

but anyways dh decided to get out in 2 yrs so we can raise a family and buy a house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Ugh this makes me sad.
Cozie_Sisika458
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:04 PM
We Moved around every year or two when I was a kid. It sucks in many ways because you don't get to have friends like Others because you aren't living there and have the history. Especially when they get older and start dating they will fight you and be really upset and even try to run away so they can stay together or the other parent will offer to have them live with them lol.

Some times its not to bad they get to start over and learn from mistakes and who to be friends with the next time around to. They get to experience new places and people and how different areas live. But one day when they are old enough not to have to move they won't go with you and might have your kids all over. Good luck.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:05 PM
I've been to 9 schools. I wouldn't do it to my kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM
My husband says others kids at his job have done it and they seem ok. His criteria are that they went to college. I can't seem to reason with him about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM

we have moved alot in 31 years- the average is 2 1/2. the longest place was 9 and the shortest was 2 years. i  have always been able to make friends. still have friends from all the places we have lived. as for the kids- they have never complain. they like to see new places. when it comes to their school. i have always call, and ask what do you need( we have moved one month before school ended and twice when school had just started). i bring all paperwork so we don't have to wait. as for me- i just get a job where ever we go- get into classes, ect.  it all depends on how you look at it. another thing- is where we are going- i send off for whatever state, town, to get in the mail to see what is there to do, ect

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM

kids do better then what we think they would.

Quoting Anonymous: My husband says others kids at his job have done it and they seem ok. His criteria are that they went to college. I can't seem to reason with him about it.

fluffball80
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Growing up we moved every 2-4 years.  Even when my parents got divorced and my mom got remarried we only stayed in that place for 4 1/2 years and most of that they were talking about moving away.  I hated it but now I did it with my own child.  Her father was in the military so we moved to three different places and then we separated so we moved again.  I will not move her again.  She will be in the same school system she is in now unless she decides to live with her father. 

I think its hard on kids especially once they get into their pre-teen and teen years. By then most kids have their core group of friends and its hard to break into a circle where they have known each other for years. 

Its hard on their education as well.  For the majority of my childhood until my parents separated and got divorced we moved within the same state.  Even though it was in the same state my education suffered because the standard of what was being taught was different.  For example one of the moves was the summer before 3rd grade.  The school I came from didn't teach cursive writing until 3rd grade.  The school I went to taught it in 2nd and expected everyone to write at the beginning of 3rd.  I had to teach myself so I wouldn't get bad grades. Another example was we moved again the summer before 6th grade.  Where I was at from 3-5th didn't teach musical instruments until 6th but the school I moved to taught it in 5th.  They were only 30 minutes away from each other.  I wanted to learn how to play and instrument but never did because I missed out on the year that everyone learned.  I had to take classes that I had no interest in during the time where the majority of kids were doing band.  I felt very left out.

I have found with my own daughter moving to different states is even harder because each state has different things that are taught when.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Bunp
Arwyn724
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I went to 7 different schools in 12 years.  I do not have a single childhood or school friend.  We were not military, either.  I hated it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)