Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about learning to tattoo eta

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
Anyone else try it? I'm not the best artist but I know I can improve with practice. I've included two of my more recent drawings so feel free to judge! I love criticism.

If you have tried, or tattoo for a living, I'd love to hear any advice!

I will add more drawings to this OP when I can but for now, some other drawings are on page 5 (and 6)
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Mobile Photo

Mom2Phoenix2011
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:37 PM
find someone willing to teach you. the drawing is not the issue you can trace. It is doing it on skin and shading pulling and keeping the skin right. they have practice skin but it still is not the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM

This - but also:

Just tracing would make you a flash artist - meaning  you copy out of the flash book, and you would need to learn the skills to shade and create depth on your own. 

Custom peices require a good deal of artistic talent - since you would be creating a composition of what the customer wants to have etched permanently onto their skin. 

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011: find someone willing to teach you. the drawing is not the issue you can trace. It is doing it on skin and shading pulling and keeping the skin right. they have practice skin but it still is not the same.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Ew. Don't. Ever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I already have people willing to let me work on them and of course some on myself as well. There's shops looking for apprentices but they want portfolios first so I'm stuck until I can get some time in. I plan on getting a license and registering my home so I can work out of it from time to time to get started and buying those practice skins as well (even though I know they aren't the best alternative but it'll be a start) and art wise, yes you can always trace but like myself, I like original work. I've drawn up every single tattoo I've gotten so far and I personally won't go to someone who can't draw.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011: find someone willing to teach you. the drawing is not the issue you can trace. It is doing it on skin and shading pulling and keeping the skin right. they have practice skin but it still is not the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM
To each their own but I want to learn.

Quoting Anonymous: Ew. Don't. Ever.
Mom2Phoenix2011
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM
true, I think if she were to do it she would she would be a better flash artist.

Quoting Anonymous:

This - but also:

Just tracing would make you a flash artist - meaning  you copy out of the flash book, and you would need to learn the skills to shade and create depth on your own. 

Custom peices require a good deal of artistic talent - since you would be creating a composition of what the customer wants to have etched permanently onto their skin. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

i wouldnt go to someone that cant draw...i dont like flash, and any reputable artist wont apprentice someone who lacks artistic skills...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:45 PM

if you're not a great artist, i wouldnt be a tattoo artist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)