Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

husband thinking about going to the military....

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM
  • 17 Replies
So..i really dont know much to think. We are going through a rough patch with our living situations..we have 2 children together. He told me he feels it would be best if he probably goes so us and our kids will live a better life..they are 2 and 3 months right now. I am worried..idk if its really worth it..i want our kids to grow up without worrying. Any suggestions if anybody has been in this situation? I do not know much about the military like how they work with families and his pay..i just dont know :/
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM

He will probably have to sign a waiver with 3 dependents....

Post this in the Military Family group. You'll find some great answers there.

carr676
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:05 PM
O sorry i was in it i thought i did ha
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Joining the military means great job security. The first few years will be tight financially, but the pay increases quickly with almost no threat of layoff.

Moving is my favorite part. I've lived in 12 states (dad was military, DH is military) and I've loved every minute of it all :)

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I know a lot, my DH is active duty Navy. Ask away! 

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It used to be. They are downsizing a lot of commands right now to save money in all branches. I love the moving too! ;) 

Quoting B1Bomber:

Joining the military means great job security. The first few years will be tight financially, but the pay increases quickly with almost no threat of layoff.

Moving is my favorite part. I've lived in 12 states (dad was military, DH is military) and I've loved every minute of it all :)

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM

For some the military life really fits--for others it is miserable.  I am close to my family so moving away from everything I had ever known was very very hard.  I made some very good friends and I'm grateful for that.  I hated being so far away from home, 16hrs.  It was hard on me, we moved from the middle of the country to upstate ny.  Weather was crazy up there from what I was use to.  I was sick constantly.  While I got to see things I never would have seen otherwise I still miss where we use to be.  Since he's gotten out we live in a house half the size of our house before he went in.  Smaller town, not many daycare or job options, etc. 

--I will say this: Don't believe the recruiter unless you get it IN WRITING.  If it isn't in writing then it probably won't happen.  The recruiters will make all kinds of promisses then once you sign those papers it doesn't mean a thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM
He will need a waiver since he has three dependents and they are really hard to come by now. It is pretty hard to enlist right now with the different branches downsizing, also base pay for a newly signes soldier is around $1,500 a month. He will get a housing allowance and food allowance but I'm not going to lie the wages of a lower enlisted soldier was not meant to support a family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Why doesn't he try getting an education to better yalls lives?
Denecia
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM
The military is downsizing big time. A lot of people are losing their jobs.

Quoting B1Bomber:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carr676
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM
I really dont know what exactly to ask. He just feels like its his only option to get on a better track in life..and i know hes kind of afraid of it. From what i understand he has to start at a boot camp. Ok...is that a certain amount of time? I just dont know how it all works until he actually gets to start. I guess i almost wanna know the step by step process if it :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)