Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please share your meal plans and help me budget

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
I always spend a truly ridiculous amount on groceries and I can never get it cheaper. I'd love some advice. We eat mostly organic so I know that's part of why it's so expensive. However, I still feel like I could be cheaper. Here's our meal list this week.

Breakfast is either an egg with nitrate free sausage or bacon or oatmeal with fruit. The kids drink kefir every morning.

Lunch is iffy. Sometimes we have leftovers, sometimes tuna, sometimes hardboiled egg, sometimes nuts and cheese. We usually eat whatever it is with a salad with cheese and veggies.

Dinner this week
-sautéed chicken in a balsamic cream sauce with mushrooms and spinach
-tacos
-quiche (I make two so we have leftovers) one is going to be broccoli and bacon and the other sausage and mushroom. I usually make home fries and a fruit salad with it.
-baked honey dijon chicken with butternut squash risotto and a salad
-pulled bbq beef with spicy roasted sweet potatoes and probably roasted Brussel sprouts
-Asian lettuce wraps with fried rice

We also go through lots of coffee and I make my own creamer. We all usually have one snack a day. We are a family of 4 and live in the Midwest. I spend at least $250/week. No food ever goes to waste it all gets eaten.

I'd love to see your meal plans so I can compare.

Thanks for your help!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I didn't get past breakfast, to be honest.   We have cereal or pancakes made into mickey mouse shapes - kid stuff.   I'm obviously of no help to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't get past breakfast, to be honest.   We have cereal or pancakes made into mickey mouse shapes - kid stuff.   I'm obviously of no help to you.

Grains make my psoriasis flare like crazy so we generally avoid them. I try to only eat them a couple times a week. That's probably part of the reason we spend so much though. I do however love pancakes though lol.
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM

your smart phone is your friend.  There are meal planners and budget planners.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Quoting jjames1990:

your smart phone is your friend.  There are meal planners and budget planners.  

I know this. I'd just rather have a discussion about it.
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM

What are you spending on groceries each month? Chicken isn't that expensive, nor is rice...I'm trying to figure out why your spending so much. The organic veggies/fruit will be more, but not enough to re budget I don't think?

"I like that about the Republicans; the evidence does not faze them, they are not bothered at all by the facts"  PresidentWilliam J. Clinton

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Quoting Derari:

What are you spending on groceries each month? Chicken

I normally spend $1000/month if not more. When we first moved here I went to a few different stores and made a list of what products are cheaper at what store. Especially since organic can be expensive it's worth shopping around. Every Friday I usually go to 2 stores and get the better priced product there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM
I just spent $180 for 2 weeks worth of food with dinners planned. I don't plan lunch or breakfast because that's usually something simple and spur of the moment. I think I get away with it because I'm not hugely worried about everything being all natural and Organic. Now that doesn't mean I feed my family frozen dinners and crap but I don't mind canned stuff or things like boxed mac n cheese and ricearoni as sides. I doake veggies but those are usually frozen.
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Sorry my full reply didn't come out before, not sure if you got it.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Derari:

What are you spending on groceries each month? Chicken

I normally spend $1000/month if not more. When we first moved here I went to a few different stores and made a list of what products are cheaper at what store. Especially since organic can be expensive it's worth shopping around. Every Friday I usually go to 2 stores and get the better priced product there.

"I like that about the Republicans; the evidence does not faze them, they are not bothered at all by the facts"  PresidentWilliam J. Clinton

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Quoting Derari:

What are you spending on groceries each month? Chicken isn't that expensive, nor is rice...I'm trying to figure out why your spending so much. The organic veggies/fruit will be more, but not enough to re budget I don't think?

I don't think the produce is really that much more either, at least not a significant amount. We pay 6.99/lb for organic chicken and occasionally I will just get it at the commissary for 2.70/lb. 6.99 seems expensive but for the area it's actually pretty cheap for organic chicken. I got a big thing if arborio rice for 5.99 and I'll get lots of servings from it, so that's not the problem either like you said.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Quoting Anonymous: I just spent $180 for 2 weeks worth of food with dinners planned. I don't plan lunch or breakfast because that's usually something simple and spur of the moment. I think I get away with it because I'm not hugely worried about everything being all natural and Organic. Now that doesn't mean I feed my family frozen dinners and crap but I don't mind canned stuff or things like boxed mac n cheese and ricearoni as sides. I doake veggies but those are usually frozen.

We do lots of frozen veggies too, they're much cheaper. Do you mind sharing your meal plan?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)