Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child or a child you know has ever been to the hospital, read this.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this
Every year for 3 days I sit glued to Country 105 in Calgary. They have a 3 day caring for kids radiothon. I listen, I cry, I laugh. The stories are filled of hope, love and yes, loss. Every year it reminds me to hug my child tight. Love like there is no tomorrow. It teaches me compassion and to help people because one day things can change and you can find yourself with a very serious problem. Within 3 hours you can go from a minor concern to watching your child being wheeled into an OR with a very real chance they might not make it.

It's amazing to hear how quickly it can happen. It's easy to think never would it happen to me. My sister books OR times for the neurosurgeons at the hospital across the street from the Alberta children's hospital. Many of the neurosurgeons also work at the children's hospital and are mentioned in the families stories. Even scarier is a good friend of my sisters little boy Jackson fell and hit his head just before Christmas. They went in for it to be checked, just to be safe. Walking in those doors, they didn't realize it was about to become a second home. While Jackson's fall was minor, they learnt through checking that he had a brain tumor.

It's amazing in a city of 1.15 million, to have it hit close enough to home. We had 203 kids come through the ER yesterday alone. That's about 6000 kids a month.

It is a yearly wake up call for me. It humbles me and reminds to love my child every day. I'm sure you can listen online if you want. Country 105 caring for kids radiothon.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM
B
Anonymous
U
Anonymous
M
Anonymous
P
ramita
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM
That's a lot of kids going to the hospital daily. Hope the little boy is doing well!
Mizz_Sassyfrass
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM
our local country station 98.7 the Bull. has a radiothon up at Dornbechers hospital for children. its a fund raiser and some of the stories you hear are inspiring.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Amazing. I love listening to it. No matter how many cases of Kleenex I go through.

Quoting Mizz_Sassyfrass: our local country station 98.7 the Bull. has a radiothon up at Dornbechers hospital for children. its a fund raiser and some of the stories you hear are inspiring.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM
It is. He is doing better. You should be able to google his story.

Quoting ramita: That's a lot of kids going to the hospital daily. Hope the little boy is doing well!
TSNDDY
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM
I cannot listen to the radio during that radiothon, I'm always bawling my eyes out!
We had to take DD to the Children's Hospital in Calgary two summers ago and just being in that building made me upset thinking about all the kids and families..
Lvmyliberty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Yes unfortunately it have lived that life with a sad outcome
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)