Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tricky situation with co-worker. WWYD

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a co-worker that is a little bit of a slacker.. no sorry a HUGE slacker, we work in a very small team and most of the time she is texting on her phone, on facebook, not pulling her weight, I haven't really mentioned it to anyone becuase I only started here in June 2013.

Recently, she found out that her father has cancer (I am sympathetic) but has been missing alot of work, we have all picked up the slack and are working to take care of her part, but when she is at work, it is now out of controll, she is doing absolutely nothing most of the time she walks around talking all day, texting non stop on her phone, picking up her personal phone while another co-worker will be talking to her.

I understand she is going threw a hard time I really do, but when she is actually at work (today is her first day since last thursday) I would assume that she would put that aside as much as possible and catch up.

What do I do? Do I say something to upper management?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:06 PM

You need to tell the boss ,she shouldn't be getting paid for not working not matter how hard of time she is having at home .Your paid to work not talk on your phone,.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

You and the other employees need to speak to the management privately by either a meeting or writing a statement in which you all sign.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Everyone is fighting their own battles..you can't possibly know who or what she's talking about, if you were in that situation you would take all calls and handle things also regardless if you were at work...it's up to you what you do but I would also consider that shoe on the other foot
Callaly
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Oh I have and thats why I haven't said anything as of yet.

My father had prostate cancer so I am aware of the stress and the going back and forth while a parent is in the hospital, but I am the type of person to not bring my personal life to work and vice versa.

Quoting Anonymous: Everyone is fighting their own battles..you can't possibly know who or what she's talking about, if you were in that situation you would take all calls and handle things also regardless if you were at work...it's up to you what you do but I would also consider that shoe on the other foot

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM
You should speak with management. Her behavior is inexcusable. The rest of her coworkers shouldn't be burdened just because she is going through personal issues.
TurtleMomma82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I would say something.  Maybe she needs some time off to deal with her family issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM

no, thats very selfish and unprofessional, do you expect to get paid even though you are providing the company with no work? if she feels the need to be available to whoever she needs to be at any moment, then she should find a job that can accommodate that

Quoting Anonymous: Everyone is fighting their own battles..you can't possibly know who or what she's talking about, if you were in that situation you would take all calls and handle things also regardless if you were at work...it's up to you what you do but I would also consider that shoe on the other foot

J.M.O.
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Yes you need to say something. They aren't paying her to be on the phone. Wouldn't be nice to have a co worker that worked!?!?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:56 PM
I can't be objective on this subject. When my step-father was diagnosed with cancer, I walked around in a daze.

I finally asked my boss about taking an extended leave of absence to be with my mom & my step-dad. I guess I got lucky and had an amazing boss. She not only granted my leave of absence, but she promised I would get my same position back when the time was right. I'm sure I had coworkers that were annoyed and talked behind my back about "favoritism", but the truth is that my boss would have done the same for any of us in the same situation.

My step-dad passed away 6 months later. All of my coworkers, including my boss, were at the funeral. As promised, I got my same position back with the company when I was ready to return.
Callaly
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:02 AM

We wouldn't mind if she took a personal leave, really I think I would be less annoyed, when she isn't here and we share out her work and because we know that it needs to be done and don't have expectations, we are less annoyed by the situation.

I am very familiar to loss of family members so I know how it feels, but at the same time, when you come to work you are expected to work, if you can't manage then take an extended leave.

Quoting Anonymous: I can't be objective on this subject. When my step-father was diagnosed with cancer, I walked around in a daze.

I finally asked my boss about taking an extended leave of absence to be with my mom & my step-dad. I guess I got lucky and had an amazing boss. She not only granted my leave of absence, but she promised I would get my same position back when the time was right. I'm sure I had coworkers that were annoyed and talked behind my back about "favoritism", but the truth is that my boss would have done the same for any of us in the same situation.

My step-dad passed away 6 months later. All of my coworkers, including my boss, were at the funeral. As promised, I got my same position back with the company when I was ready to return.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)