Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you say something?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

My 11 year old son is playing on a rec flag football team.  We are halfway through the season and so far, he has never played more than five minutes of any game  (games are 50 minutes).   There are 16 kids on the team, they supposed switch out team A & team B but my son is always sent back to the sidelines by the coaches when they choose the players for the next "team" .  I know nothing about football or how it works but one coach picks team A for a couple plays and then the next coach picks his team B for the next couple plays and back and forth - it's never the same kids on the same team.   As far as I can tell, my son is the only one who is consistently not picked. 

I get that he is not the best player on the team.  He has never played before and most of the other boys have but c'mon this is a recreational league.  The whole point is to let the kids get out there and play, win or lose.

I've said something to both coaches who shrug it off and point fingers at the other coach for not picking my son.   

Would you say something to the league? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I'd be fuming inside but wouldn't say anything. Does your son notice or care? Let him say something if he does. Making a big deal of it will only put him in an awkward spot. 

Chibee
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I would talk it over with your son.  If he doesn't notice, don't say anything.   If it bothers him too, then ask him what he thinks the best way to address it would be.   Involve him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM

He notices but he never says anything.  I've told him a lot that when the coaches are picking players he needs to be telling them that he wants to play and to be fired up and they'll be more likely to pick him but he doesn't.    It's just not his personality.   But he LOVES playing.  That's what kills me. 

Quoting JulyBabies:

I'd be fuming inside but wouldn't say anything. Does your son notice or care? Let him say something if he does. Making a big deal of it will only put him in an awkward spot. 

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Talk to your son about his feelings on the matter and what HE would like to see happen. At 11 years old, he's old enough to learn that it takes more than being there to make it on the team...It sounds like he really needs some practice in...I'd ask the coaches what he needs to work on and practice, practice, practice.
He really should get to play a little bit every game, though. 

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM

In a local league, they need to play the kids more equally. If the coaches won't listen, talk to the league. It is all in how you say it, don't go in screaming like a crazy lady.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)