Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen pregnancy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

I am a teen mother. I have a head on my shoulders and will be finishing shool and graduating this May. I will be walking with my class and recieving my high school diploma. Now here's my problem, My district doesn't allow the teaching os contraceptive, teen pregnancy, abortion, anything. They ONLY teach abstinance. This is a PUBLIC school. The teen pregnancy percentage increased in the last 6 years by 12% since they stopped offerng condoms in the nurses office. I want to get your guys opinion. How do you think this should be handled? After I graduate I will be making an appeal to the school board to over-turn this. I will also be starting a teen pregnancy campaign. Where I will be getting some friend (including myself) who are teen parents and having them all talk about it. I think it's wrong they don't show all the sides of this and just assume that teenagers won't have sex. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
BethanyJ
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Abstinence only education doesn't work and never will work.  Public schools should teach sex ED regardless of what the parents want -- because kids will have sex, period.  Some always will, no matter what they are taught.  It's best to hand out condoms and teach them to do it safely, vs. not.  I think you should absolutely make an appeal, and take your fight to the media if need be.  Abstinence only education should not be allowed anywhere, in any public school.

thetrollcat
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

If you had a head on your shoulders you would have taken more precaution to avoid getting pregnant

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Sexual education should be taught in the home also. So sad that many parents will not step up to the plate.
LadyVoldemort
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM

this.

Quoting BethanyJ:

Abstinence only education doesn't work and never will work.  Public schools should teach sex ED regardless of what the parents want -- because kids will have sex, period.  Some always will, no matter what they are taught.  It's best to hand out condoms and teach them to do it safely, vs. not.  I think you should absolutely make an appeal, and take your fight to the media if need be.  Abstinence only education should not be allowed anywhere, in any public school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM
The sex ed may be a state law and not a district policy. You'd have more luck turning 18 and contacting your reps for your state legislature.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)