Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I didn't go to my mom's funeral.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

I stayed in the hospital for 3 days before she died and was in a coma. I have a special needs toddler and we live in a different state 8 hours away. My dh couldn't get off work.

everyone says I'm a horrible daughter for not going to my own mom's funeral.

Seriously?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM
I'm not sure I would make my sn child my scapegoat for why I didn't go to my mother's funeral.

Quoting Anonymous:

I stayed in the hospital for 3 days before she died and was in a coma. I have a special needs toddler and we live in a different state 8 hours away. My dh couldn't get off work.

Seriously?

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Funerals are for the living.... and everyone handles grief in their own way. You didn't have to attend to still mourn the mother you lost and people are being incredibly insensitive for even suggesting differently.

I do recommend for your own closure perhaps having your own small memorial...Perhaps letting go a bunch of balloons with memories of her tied to the strings with your family when you feel up to it or a donation to a charity in her name.

My heart goes out to you during your time of loss and grief.

katydid150
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Wouldn't worry about it. People will get pissed and no point in worrying over it. My mom is still annoyed I didn't go to my stepdad's funeral, but I don't care. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM

That wasn't the only thing I said, but my special needs child does need lots of attention.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm not sure I would make my sn child my scapegoat for why I didn't go to my mother's funeral.

Quoting Anonymous:

Seriously?

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Funerals are for the living. There aren't many funerals I would attend.
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I'd get up from my deathbed to do to my mom's funeral and spit on her grave. That's about all she can expect from me.

Seriously though, I absolutely understand why you didn't and I probably wouldn't either if I were in your situation. Funerals are for the living anyway, as OwlNuggets said. If you can let go without one, well.

FlutterbyMom3
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM
People suck and talk shit about others for everything. It's pathetic. If you could have been there, you would have.
Sorry for your loss.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:04 PM

sorry but you might regret that later. most places will allow for the dh( or u ) to take off for the immediate family. 8 hr isn't that long of a drive, sn child or not.( btw i have sn child).  sorry for your loss. i think you should have went.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)