Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

I work at a private preschool and due to the weather the preschoolers have missed 9 days so far.  We have been inundated with phone calls from angry parents due to the missed school days.  They are upset that we follow the county as far as late openings and closings and are of the mind that we should extend the school year so that they can get the missed days since they paid for it. Remember that this is only a preschool and the students are only here from 9 am until 12:30 pm daily.  There is no on site child care. 

What is your opinion?  If you were these parents how would you feel about the situation. 

Our school director is going to take the people's complaints to the board of directors and see what can be done. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM
2 moms liked this
if they are paying out of pocket for it,then they should get those hours
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM

BUMP!

danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM

If I am paying for a service, I want what I payed for.

I was a teachers assistant at a preschool for a few years before having my own children.

We also cancelled preschool when public school was cancelled.. but we ALWAYS made up the missed day. The parents payed for it. Why wouldn't we make up that day when we didn't work for them?

orchardmoma
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Our public schools have make up days for snow and such and I think it would be  only fair for the preschools to do that also. 

LyTe684
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM
Well, I see where their priorities are. *insert eyeroll*.

ETA: What was the agreement when they signed up?
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I'd be pissed if you still charged me for those missed days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM

That is the biggest complaint from the parents.  Our director's hands are tied in that she can not make that call.  I just felt bad for her today fielding all the calls from the angry parents.  Hopefully they are patient enough for her to take it to the board of directors.  :/

Quoting MagicMonkey: if they are paying out of pocket for it,then they should get those hours

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM

BUMP!

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
My sons preschool follows our school districts calendar. So if they get out early so do we. If there is a snow day then we have one too. And if the school districts adds to the calendar so does our school. We are paying for the school so I think we should be able to make up the days.
mo3giOH
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM
I am one of those parents too. My kids have missed a total of 6 days so far and we usually have snow till April which means more snow days.

In January my kids didn't go to school for a full week. Think about all the stuff the have missed because of that. Now along with playing catch up they have to cram the stuff they should know up to this point.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)