Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
16 mo old dd is in the bathtub, she keeps looking at me and saying "uh oh" then tosses one of her bath toys on the floor. I realize it is a game so I stopped picking them up. All the time now she says "uh oh" or "no no" right before doing something she's not supposed to do.

Example:
"No no" -- followed immediately by stealing my phone or remote, pushing the buttons on the dvr, tearing a page out of a book,..

"Uh oh" -- followed immediately by hitting the dog, eating rocks from the fireplace or shaking her juice cup all over the floor

I know she knows what she is doing and she looks at me all ornery-like right before she does it
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bethpelle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM
I ignore this behavior. She knows it's wrong and is looking for a reaction
danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM

She's just a baby.

Redirection.

If she is tearing pages out of a book.. put the book away and give her something to do with her hands.. blocks, play dough, finger paints, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM
She's testing her limits.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM
More specifically I'm talking about her throwing toys out the tub right now

Quoting danie24:

She's just a baby.

Redirection.

If she is tearing pages out of a book.. put the book away and give her something to do with her hands.. blocks, play dough, finger paints, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Sounds just like my 17 month old. lol. It's just a phase.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Just don't let her. You're right there beside her.

Take the toys in your own hands and start playing with them in the water and tell a story, line them up on the side of the tub and count them or talk about their colors or just take them out completely and clean her and take her out.

She will forget about throwing the toys if she is being stimulated in some way.

Quoting Anonymous: More specifically I'm talking about her throwing toys out the tub right now

Quoting danie24:

She's just a baby.

Redirection.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:02 PM
Ok and what should I do about her refusal to sit and stop messing with the faucet lol. Nevermind I'm just going to get off here and get her dried of

Quoting danie24: Just don't let her. You're right there beside her.Take the toys in your own hands and start playing with them in the water and tell a story, line them up on the side of the tub and count them or talk about their colors or just take them out completely and clean her and take her out.She will forget about throwing the toys if she is being stimulated in some way.Quoting Anonymous: More specifically I'm talking about her throwing toys out the tub right now

Quoting danie24:

She's just a baby.

Redirection.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:02 PM
*off
danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM

If you're playing on your phone instead of talking to her and playing with her while she's in the tub, of course she is going to mess with things she isn't suppose to. She's a baby.

Put the phone down.. and talk, sing and play with her.

Quoting Anonymous: Ok and what should I do about her refusal to sit and stop messing with the faucet lol. Nevermind I'm just going to get off her and get her dried of

Quoting danie24:

Just don't let her. You're right there beside her.

Take the toys in your own hands and start playing with them in the water and tell a story, line them up on the side of the tub and count them or talk about their colors or just take them out completely and clean her and take her out.

She will forget about throwing the toys if she is being stimulated in some way.

Quoting Anonymous: More specifically I'm talking about her throwing toys out the tub right now

Quoting danie24:

She's just a baby.

Redirection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)