Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you give your dog away?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

I feel really sad and shitty about this.. but I'm thinking about either selling my puppy or taking her to the shelter.

She is a really adorable little puppy, she's about 5 months old. When we got her I was staying at home, but recently we have been struggling and I've had to get a job. She's in her crate from 7:15 am until 5pm every day now. It has been a week and I've noticed a difference in her behavior. She was doing alright with training... but since she's had to be in the crate more often she's really digressing.

My husband has never been a dog person, he's not as patient with her as I am. He is very easily frustrated with her and it's kind of caused some tension between us.

We also have two cats and they really have not taken to her at all. They are pretty mellow, but they don't like her bouncy personality and have swatted her a few times. Something I've really never, ever seen them do. We have them separated.. the dog in the kitchen, the cats have the rest of the house. Well.. when the cats walk by the gate the dog barks at them and growls at them. I'm worried that we will never be able to let her in the rest of the house.. and that the cats and dog won't get along.

I also feel bad.. because of all the alone time the dog spends, and then she is separated from us whenever we aren't in the kitchen. In hingsight I'm realizing that an older dog might have been a wiser choice than a puppy.

I never thought I'd be someone who would rehome a pet... but I'm feeling like this might be the right thing to do.

In this situation.. would you?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ninjakids
by Christina on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I was left in a similar situation, i tried for months and nothing worked. I rehomed her and keep in contact with her new owners. She has made amazing improvements and I am happy because I know she's actually getting to live her puppy life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM
If she's that young, someone will take her for sure.

If she's only 5 months old, you can't have had her that long. Seems like very poor planning. Give her away.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I would find a new home for her.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM

If you are going to, please skip a shelter and place her directly into a new family. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM

We've had her for 3 months.. I was planning on staying home, but we are now needing me to work.

But yes.. I was thinking that as well, that we should rehome her now while she is little, if we are going to.

Quoting Anonymous: If she's that young, someone will take her for sure.

If she's only 5 months old, you can't have had her that long. Seems like very poor planning. Give her away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM

This is a better option?

I would like to be able to choose who I rehome her too, so I will probably do this.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

If you are going to, please skip a shelter and place her directly into a new family. 

meaganmac
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this
It's hard for me to say one way or the other. I am a firm believer that pets are for life and when you commit to a pet, you are committing forever. But, that being said, if you aren't able to give her the attention she needs and deserves, then she deserves a family who can. Just please don't take her to a shelter, put in the work and find her a forever home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Put her on Craigslist.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is a better option?

I would like to be able to choose who I rehome her too, so I will probably do this.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Thank you for your positive experience story :).

I'm really kind of broken up over this, but I feel like she would be doing a lot better with someone who could give her more time.

Quoting ninjakids: I was left in a similar situation, i tried for months and nothing worked. I rehomed her and keep in contact with her new owners. She has made amazing improvements and I am happy because I know she's actually getting to live her puppy life.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, shelters are not good places for pets. I've rehomed an animal before, and I found them on Craigslist and went to visit their home before I made my final decision. They were wonderful people and I felt better knowing she was in loving hands rather than a cold floor at a shelter with very limited human contact.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is a better option?

Quoting OwlNuggets:

AVE SATANAS!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)