Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Houston-area mentor pays delinquent lunch accounts for more than 60 kids

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM
  • 156 Replies
13 moms liked this
HOUSTON -
In his 10 years as a mentor and tutor, a local man has always done his best to meet the needs of the students in his life.

That's exactly what Kenny Thompson did Monday when he learned that some children at Houston's Valley Oaks Elementary School who had negative balances on their lunch accounts were receiving different lunches than the other kids: cold cheese sandwiches instead of a full tray of food.

He was spurred to take action after hearing last week that dozens of Utah students, whose accounts were delinquent, had their lunches taken and thrown away.

"I'm like, 'Wow. I know that's probably a situation at my school, and the school my son goes to, and the other schools I mentor at.' So I came in and inquired about it," Thompson said.

He not only inquired about it, Thompson learned that many of the kids were already on reduced lunch. Children whose parents couldn't afford the meals that cost just 40 cents a day. He took $465 of his own money and zeroed out the delinquent accounts of more than 60 kids.

"These are elementary school kids. They don't need to be worried about finances," said Thompson. "They need to be worried about what grade they got in spelling."

Thompson says many kids he knows with negative accounts forgo the lunch line altogether to avoid embarrassment. But that's bad for education as physicians have linked classroom performance with proper nutrition.

Thompson believes he made a difference when he made the decision to help those students.

"When I left the building knowing that they were getting fed, they didn't have that stress," said Thompson. "The best money I ever spent."

http://m.click2houston.com/news/houstonarea-mentor-pays-delinquent-lunch-accounts-of-more-than-60-kids/-/16714936/24297388/-/13jsb1v/-/index.html
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM
That's sweet :)
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:42 PM
That's awesome!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Wow! Great guy!

Taylorzoe
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:45 PM
9 moms liked this
I wish there was a fund for this. Like the angel thin tht was happening with layaway accounts. I would love to donate to a cause that helped children avoid embarrassment and kept them fed.
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM
That's a good idea.

Quoting Taylorzoe: I wish there was a fund for this. Like the angel thin tht was happening with layaway accounts. I would love to donate to a cause that helped children avoid embarrassment and kept them fed.
Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM
4 moms liked this

Nice of him.  But I think he should have asked the parents.

When my son was younger I gave him enough money for the main lunch entree and a snack every day.  He would overspend on crap, and I wouldn't give him anymore money.  Having those cheese sandwiches 3 days a week because he was irresponsible taught him a valuable lesson.

I wouldn't have wanted someone bailing him out.

cjsmom1
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:47 PM

That was really nice of him to do.

cjsmom1
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I never thought about that. You're right though it taught him a valuable lesson

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

Nice of him.  But I think he should have asked the parents.

When my son was younger I gave him enough money for the main lunch entree and a snack every day.  He would overspend on crap, and I wouldn't give him anymore money.  Having those cheese sandwiches 3 days a week because he was irresponsible taught him a valuable lesson.

I wouldn't have wanted someone bailing him out.

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:48 PM
How sweet!
babie113
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:48 PM
hes awesome
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)