Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Houston-area mentor pays delinquent lunch accounts for more than 60 kids

Posted by   + Show Post
HOUSTON -
In his 10 years as a mentor and tutor, a local man has always done his best to meet the needs of the students in his life.

That's exactly what Kenny Thompson did Monday when he learned that some children at Houston's Valley Oaks Elementary School who had negative balances on their lunch accounts were receiving different lunches than the other kids: cold cheese sandwiches instead of a full tray of food.

He was spurred to take action after hearing last week that dozens of Utah students, whose accounts were delinquent, had their lunches taken and thrown away.

"I'm like, 'Wow. I know that's probably a situation at my school, and the school my son goes to, and the other schools I mentor at.' So I came in and inquired about it," Thompson said.

He not only inquired about it, Thompson learned that many of the kids were already on reduced lunch. Children whose parents couldn't afford the meals that cost just 40 cents a day. He took $465 of his own money and zeroed out the delinquent accounts of more than 60 kids.

"These are elementary school kids. They don't need to be worried about finances," said Thompson. "They need to be worried about what grade they got in spelling."

Thompson says many kids he knows with negative accounts forgo the lunch line altogether to avoid embarrassment. But that's bad for education as physicians have linked classroom performance with proper nutrition.

Thompson believes he made a difference when he made the decision to help those students.

"When I left the building knowing that they were getting fed, they didn't have that stress," said Thompson. "The best money I ever spent."

http://m.click2houston.com/news/houstonarea-mentor-pays-delinquent-lunch-accounts-of-more-than-60-kids/-/16714936/24297388/-/13jsb1v/-/index.html
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Replies (151-156):
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Its because he didnt give the money to the parents,and tell them to pay the bill.. he payed off the money owed directly, to help a child who is not at fault, not incompetent.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Nice gesture.....but why are people that enable others to be incompetent hailed as heroes?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Quoting kcangel63:
He not only inquired about it, Thompson learned that many of the kids were already on reduced lunch. Children whose parents couldn't afford the meals that cost just 40 cents a day. He took $465 of his own money and zeroed out the delinquent accounts of more than 60 kids.

I think it's pretty pathetic that a parent can't come up with $.40 cents a day to feed their own child.  Roll Eyes

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Right lol...I mean why are we expecting middle school kids to do it.

Quoting justone_jen: Half the bitches on this site can't manage their money, lol.

Quoting OneToughMami:

I am still not 100% convinced middle school age children understand money management. I worked in a middle school. I mean hell, I am not 100% on high schoolers understanding money management either. 

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

Yeah we had that in grammar school when I expected him to have less self control.

In middle school though, he needed to learn to make better decisions.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I am so lucky that my schools have a lunch website!  I simply log on and check off what he's allowed to have.  I can check off if he is allowed to purchase extras, even specify certain days.  (Like if he only likes the brownies, I only check Friday when brownies are served.)  Or certain ones each week.

It makes managing things so much easier!

DS brings cold lunch, but he eats breakfast at school.  This nifty website set up by the district helps me know he's eating real hot breakfasts and not just cereal and donuts every day!

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

Nice of him.  But I think he should have asked the parents.

When my son was younger I gave him enough money for the main lunch entree and a snack every day.  He would overspend on crap, and I wouldn't give him anymore money.  Having those cheese sandwiches 3 days a week because he was irresponsible taught him a valuable lesson.

I wouldn't have wanted someone bailing him out.

This is me driving my fucking car in this city…everyday…hair in my eyes and all…I’m just well cuter you saw

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Yes the many times by piece of shit people who call for no good reason. The only time a case was opened was when I lived with my mother that smoked weed. They opened the case because of me living with her no other reason. I have kids with 2 guys. One child with the first guy and three children with another. The first guy doesn't pay shit and I get $200 a month from the second. If I breed with everyone who said I love you to me I would have a hell of a lot more kids than I do now. And you as usual sound like one of those stupid women that judges anyone you feel is beneath you. Oh wait you are. At least I can start school like I plan to so that I can get out of the situation I'm in. Judgmental bitches have a much harder time changing themselves as usually the problem is they hate something about themselves which is why they are rude to others. Good luck with that. I'm not going to respond any more to you. I'm done with idiots who try and make me feel bad about myself when I have no reason to.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

The MANY times they've been called on you....ugh!  Their FATHERS......double ugh!  It sounds like you're just a stupid person that breeds with anyone that says, "I love you"....

Quoting Anonymous: You can go ahead and feel that way just like I can feel that you are unfit because you are a judgmental bitch and most likely teach your kids that anyone that is poor is beneath them. If I was unfit CPS would have taken my children one of the many times they have been called on me but they haven't because as they have told me I'm a good mother. I go without so my kids can have stuff. Unlike their fathers who don't give a fuck most of the time(all the time for one of them) if their children have anything. They are the ones that are unfit not me.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

If you can't or don't feed your children, you're an unfit parent.....it's just that simple.

Quoting Anonymous: Some parents don't have money after rent and bills. What are they supposed to do not pay those? Maybe this isn't a normal thing for them and they had to pay something that caused them not to have the money. My kids have been in the negative a few times on their accounts for breakfast and lunch. Usually it was because it being the beginning of a new school year and their free lunch hadn't kicked in. Which my kids are lucky to get because if they didn't they probably wouldn't eat at school. My kids eat at home because I will go without to make sure they have food.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Who cares what their situation is.....my children eat before anything else, but that's because I am not an unfit parent.  A person that allows their children to go hungry is unfit.

Quoting Anonymous: The kids aren't incompetent. You have no clue what the parents situation is.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Nice gesture.....but why are people that enable others to be incompetent hailed as heroes?

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Do you even read what you've written......you're pathetic!

Quoting Anonymous: Yes the many times by piece of shit people who call for no good reason. The only time a case was opened was when I lived with my mother that smoked weed. They opened the case because of me living with her no other reason. I have kids with 2 guys. One child with the first guy and three children with another. The first guy doesn't pay shit and I get $200 a month from the second. If I breed with everyone who said I love you to me I would have a hell of a lot more kids than I do now. And you as usual sound like one of those stupid women that judges anyone you feel is beneath you. Oh wait you are. At least I can start school like I plan to so that I can get out of the situation I'm in. Judgmental bitches have a much harder time changing themselves as usually the problem is they hate something about themselves which is why they are rude to others. Good luck with that. I'm not going to respond any more to you. I'm done with idiots who try and make me feel bad about myself when I have no reason to.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

The MANY times they've been called on you....ugh!  Their FATHERS......double ugh!  It sounds like you're just a stupid person that breeds with anyone that says, "I love you"....

Quoting Anonymous: You can go ahead and feel that way just like I can feel that you are unfit because you are a judgmental bitch and most likely teach your kids that anyone that is poor is beneath them. If I was unfit CPS would have taken my children one of the many times they have been called on me but they haven't because as they have told me I'm a good mother. I go without so my kids can have stuff. Unlike their fathers who don't give a fuck most of the time(all the time for one of them) if their children have anything. They are the ones that are unfit not me.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

If you can't or don't feed your children, you're an unfit parent.....it's just that simple.

Quoting Anonymous: Some parents don't have money after rent and bills. What are they supposed to do not pay those? Maybe this isn't a normal thing for them and they had to pay something that caused them not to have the money. My kids have been in the negative a few times on their accounts for breakfast and lunch. Usually it was because it being the beginning of a new school year and their free lunch hadn't kicked in. Which my kids are lucky to get because if they didn't they probably wouldn't eat at school. My kids eat at home because I will go without to make sure they have food.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Who cares what their situation is.....my children eat before anything else, but that's because I am not an unfit parent.  A person that allows their children to go hungry is unfit.

Quoting Anonymous: The kids aren't incompetent. You have no clue what the parents situation is.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

justone_jen
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM
That's not a solution. That's inadequate nutrition as punishment for poor parents.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

There is a solution in place already, they get an alternate lunch.....

Quoting justone_jen: I agree. But what's your solution? Let the kids suffer?

Maybe he's enabling parents, I don't know. But I don't see punishing the children as a solution. At the end of the day, parents who don't prioritize their children simply won't, and the kids will suffer for it.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN