Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Houston-area mentor pays delinquent lunch accounts for more than 60 kids

Posted by   + Show Post
HOUSTON -
In his 10 years as a mentor and tutor, a local man has always done his best to meet the needs of the students in his life.

That's exactly what Kenny Thompson did Monday when he learned that some children at Houston's Valley Oaks Elementary School who had negative balances on their lunch accounts were receiving different lunches than the other kids: cold cheese sandwiches instead of a full tray of food.

He was spurred to take action after hearing last week that dozens of Utah students, whose accounts were delinquent, had their lunches taken and thrown away.

"I'm like, 'Wow. I know that's probably a situation at my school, and the school my son goes to, and the other schools I mentor at.' So I came in and inquired about it," Thompson said.

He not only inquired about it, Thompson learned that many of the kids were already on reduced lunch. Children whose parents couldn't afford the meals that cost just 40 cents a day. He took $465 of his own money and zeroed out the delinquent accounts of more than 60 kids.

"These are elementary school kids. They don't need to be worried about finances," said Thompson. "They need to be worried about what grade they got in spelling."

Thompson says many kids he knows with negative accounts forgo the lunch line altogether to avoid embarrassment. But that's bad for education as physicians have linked classroom performance with proper nutrition.

Thompson believes he made a difference when he made the decision to help those students.

"When I left the building knowing that they were getting fed, they didn't have that stress," said Thompson. "The best money I ever spent."

http://m.click2houston.com/news/houstonarea-mentor-pays-delinquent-lunch-accounts-of-more-than-60-kids/-/16714936/24297388/-/13jsb1v/-/index.html
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
copasetic1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:47 PM

There is no school in this country that would tell him anyone's names. Even if they would, he shouldn't have to track all the parents down and ask them their particular circumstances One the other hand, individual parents could contact the school and tell them not to bail their child out. You taught a good lesson though. That's what good parents do, they don't scream or punish or shame, they teach their child about real life. I'll bet he thanks you to this day, Mama! And I am not being snarky, I genuinely applaud you. Felt I should explain that, seeing as this is cafemom.

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

Nice of him.  But I think he should have asked the parents.

When my son was younger I gave him enough money for the main lunch entree and a snack every day.  He would overspend on crap, and I wouldn't give him anymore money.  Having those cheese sandwiches 3 days a week because he was irresponsible taught him a valuable lesson.

I wouldn't have wanted someone bailing him out.

cjsmom1
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM

You're right. I don't have cable, internet, an expensive phone, a home phone, or many other "luxuries" because the money just isn't there. There is plenty of food in my house and ds never goes hungry though.

I understand some people truly can't afford it, but if that was the case the kids should be getting free lunch. It's sad when parents do all that for themselves and their kids go hungry. Some people just shouldn't have kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sister is very low income and her kids get reduced lunch.  They are never negative with their lunch account because she prioritizes that.  She doesn't have a smartphone just a basic cellphone and no landline. She doesn't have cable, internet or luxuries of any kind.  Her kids do without many of the things so many kids do have but they have everything they need and are well loved. In a year it will be different my sister will be an RN and making a lot more money but for now she sacrifices so her kids are well fed.

Some choose cigarettes, alcohol, internet, cable and other shit over feeding their children and that is just unacceptable.  I am glad this man did this but those kids accounts will be negative again and the kids will be eating cold sandwiches but mom will have her nails done and her hair will look amazing.  Some people suck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Most adults are unable to manage money so their kids are not taught that.  My son is in 6th grade and manages his money very well.  He mowed lawns last summer in our neighborhood and set up his accounts on the computer. He mowed three lawns a day at 25-35 bucks a pop.  He keeps track of his money by himself and balances to the penny.  He was taught by us how to do those things.  When kids are taught from a young age how to manage money they learn.  What a concept.lol

Quoting OneToughMami:

I am still not 100% convinced middle school age children understand money management. I worked in a middle school. I mean hell, I am not 100% on high schoolers understanding money management either. 

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

Yeah we had that in grammar school when I expected him to have less self control.

In middle school though, he needed to learn to make better decisions.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I am so lucky that my schools have a lunch website!  I simply log on and check off what he's allowed to have.  I can check off if he is allowed to purchase extras, even specify certain days.  (Like if he only likes the brownies, I only check Friday when brownies are served.)  Or certain ones each week.

It makes managing things so much easier!

DS brings cold lunch, but he eats breakfast at school.  This nifty website set up by the district helps me know he's eating real hot breakfasts and not just cereal and donuts every day!

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

When my son was younger I gave him enough money for the main lunch entree and a snack every day.  He would overspend on crap, and I wouldn't give him anymore money.  Having those cheese sandwiches 3 days a week because he was irresponsible taught him a valuable lesson.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Yeah. It's very cyclical. If your parents are not good at managing money chances are you will be bad at managing money. I had to teach myself how to manage my money. My mom is horrendous with money management. Luckily my uncle is decent at it and helped a little.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most adults are unable to manage money so their kids are not taught that.  My son is in 6th grade and manages his money very well.  He mowed lawns last summer in our neighborhood and set up his accounts on the computer. He mowed three lawns a day at 25-35 bucks a pop.  He keeps track of his money by himself and balances to the penny.  He was taught by us how to do those things.  When kids are taught from a young age how to manage money they learn.  What a concept.lol

Quoting OneToughMami:

I am still not 100% convinced middle school age children understand money management. I worked in a middle school. I mean hell, I am not 100% on high schoolers understanding money management either. 

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

Yeah we had that in grammar school when I expected him to have less self control.

In middle school though, he needed to learn to make better decisions.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I am so lucky that my schools have a lunch website!  I simply log on and check off what he's allowed to have.  I can check off if he is allowed to purchase extras, even specify certain days.  (Like if he only likes the brownies, I only check Friday when brownies are served.)  Or certain ones each week.

It makes managing things so much easier!

DS brings cold lunch, but he eats breakfast at school.  This nifty website set up by the district helps me know he's eating real hot breakfasts and not just cereal and donuts every day!

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

This is me driving my fucking car in this city…everyday…hair in my eyes and all…I’m just well cuter you saw

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:57 PM

You are a good momma.  It is hard to go without the luxuries so many have but those who are patient and do the right things for their kids eventually get out of that situation.  I lived very poorly for a few years and it was rough we had nothing and lived in a room.  My son had everything he needed (food, clothing, education, water and a safe place to sleep) and I did without.  When I did have extra money I saved it and didn't blow it.  I am now the owner of an accounting firm and live very well.  My son appreciates what we have because he knows what it is like to not have much.  He told me as long as he has me and is loved he has everything. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

You're right. I don't have cable, internet, an expensive phone, a home phone, or many other "luxuries" because the money just isn't there. There is plenty of food in my house and ds never goes hungry though.

I understand some people truly can't afford it, but if that was the case the kids should be getting free lunch. It's sad when parents do all that for themselves and their kids go hungry. Some people just shouldn't have kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sister is very low income and her kids get reduced lunch.  They are never negative with their lunch account because she prioritizes that.  She doesn't have a smartphone just a basic cellphone and no landline. She doesn't have cable, internet or luxuries of any kind.  Her kids do without many of the things so many kids do have but they have everything they need and are well loved. In a year it will be different my sister will be an RN and making a lot more money but for now she sacrifices so her kids are well fed.

Some choose cigarettes, alcohol, internet, cable and other shit over feeding their children and that is just unacceptable.  I am glad this man did this but those kids accounts will be negative again and the kids will be eating cold sandwiches but mom will have her nails done and her hair will look amazing.  Some people suck.

boys2men2soon
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

In elementary school?   Your son had choices for spending his lunch money?    Our school will not take cash!   They offer a couple choices for lunch, but the cost is the same.     I'm just curious.

cjsmom1
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:01 PM

My plan is to move in a couple months to a smaller apartment so I can save a little money. I plan on putting some into savigs and trying to pay off student loans. Ds has everything he needs and a lot of wants and I often go without.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are a good momma.  It is hard to go without the luxuries so many have but those who are patient and do the right things for their kids eventually get out of that situation.  I lived very poorly for a few years and it was rough we had nothing and lived in a room.  My son had everything he needed (food, clothing, education, water and a safe place to sleep) and I did without.  When I did have extra money I saved it and didn't blow it.  I am now the owner of an accounting firm and live very well.  My son appreciates what we have because he knows what it is like to not have much.  He told me as long as he has me and is loved he has everything. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I know this man personally and he goes above and beyond every single day, I hope my sons turn out to be half as kind as this man. He really is an amazing person.
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM
3 moms liked this

That is awesome!

As for the people trying to take away from what he did, get over it. Maybe he enabled one kid to waste his money, maybe he enabled ten families to continue to be incompetent. So what? Maybe he also helped just one kid realize that there is someone in this world that gives a crap about him/her. To me, that would be worth the five hundred bucks. Stop being so cynical about everything.

Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

In elementary school?   Your son had choices for spending his lunch money?    Our school will not take cash!   They offer a couple choices for lunch, but the cost is the same.     I'm just curious.

They didn't take cash, but he could spend money from his lunch account and buy extras.  And the extras were primarily junk kids don't need to be eating at lunch anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)