Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner menu - Foodstamps

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
I receive stamps & am out until the 7th , also have no money to buy food.. I have four kids full time & one part time.. & yes we do work we just don't earn that much. Hubby is in college & I'm Working on my GED
02/01 I made a turkey a food pantry gave me, stuffing, canned yams
02/02- turkey leftovers
02/03- spaghetti ( noodles are from food pantry)
02/04- I cut up & fried a whole chicken, mushroom Risotto, peas ( from a can)
02/05- tomato soup & bread roll
I am thankful for what I get.. Fs parents Share your menu
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM
And the point is?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Sounds like you eat better than me :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:28 PM
We never have seconds .. & one chicken feed 7 people, the Rosato was from a box each person got two tablespoons..

Quoting Anonymous: Sounds like you eat better than me :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:33 PM
I don't knock people on food assistance. Especially If they're trying. I do feel better life choices should have been made in some situations , but who am I to judge . And you can't go back and change the past. Only learn, move forward and better yourself. I actually been very surprised to learn some people I know get them. I would have never guessed. Just shows you can't judge a book by its cover. Plus food has become ridiculously expensive and nobody , no matter what their situation deserves to go hungry, especially children. I think that's a good menu. Just advice from a mom with four kids myself. Look into bulk buying. Some places take WIC and Food assistance from what I have seen where we shop. It will save on many things with a family your size. Keep it simple . Whole grain pasta dishes go a long way and can be done up with meats and veggies. Also soups. One day a week make a big pot of soup you can freeze a lot of it for later meals. And some really yummy ones take very few ingredients. Buy frozen veggies ( in bulk ) it lasts longer and saves. Buy flour sugar etc in bulk . I get a 10 p
ound bag of sugar for $4. I make my own cookies, granola bars, nutrigrain bars , breads etc. And it can all be frozen. Its healthier , cheaper and lasts longer. Its a little more time consuming but worth it. Buy the big containers of oatmeal and add frozen fruits ( in bulk) its cheaper than the individual packets. Buy off brand cereal If your kids don't like oatmeal. Buy juice in bulk and add water to each glass. It lasts longer and is better Heath wise in the long run. I'd be happy to share recipes with you and anyone else interested :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Probably going to regret this but here are the last 7 meals we had. I can't wait for tomorrow we haven't had a veggie in 3 days, cheese is gone, meat is gone, and our fruit ran out a week ago.

Pizza (crust was on sale for 29cents)

Spaghetti (noodles from a pantry)

Taco nachos (beans from a pantry and taco seasoning on sale for 3 for a dollar)

Pork chops, kale, and peas (all sale items)

Chili Dogs (hot dogs on sale, made buns, used leftover chili)

Chili (beans and tomatoes from pantry)

Enchiladas (beans from pantry, tortillas on sale, made the sauce)

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Do you rely on the panty every month?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Yes please share a couple of recipes

Quoting Anonymous: I don't knock people on food assistance. Especially If they're trying. I do feel better life choices should have been made in some situations , but who am I to judge . And you can't go back and change the past. Only learn, move forward and better yourself. I actually been very surprised to learn some people I know get them. I would have never guessed. Just shows you can't judge a book by its cover. Plus food has become ridiculously expensive and nobody , no matter what their situation deserves to go hungry, especially children. I think that's a good menu. Just advice from a mom with four kids myself. Look into bulk buying. Some places take WIC and Food assistance from what I have seen where we shop. It will save on many things with a family your size. Keep it simple . Whole grain pasta dishes go a long way and can be done up with meats and veggies. Also soups. One day a week make a big pot of soup you can freeze a lot of it for later meals. And some really yummy ones take very few ingredients. Buy frozen veggies ( in bulk ) it lasts longer and saves. Buy flour sugar etc in bulk . I get a 10 p

ound bag of sugar for $4. I make my own cookies, granola bars, nutrigrain bars , breads etc. And it can all be frozen. Its healthier , cheaper and lasts longer. Its a little more time consuming but worth it. Buy the big containers of oatmeal and add frozen fruits ( in bulk) its cheaper than the individual packets. Buy off brand cereal If your kids don't like oatmeal. Buy juice in bulk and add water to each glass. It lasts longer and is better Heath wise in the long run. I'd be happy to share recipes with you and anyone else interested :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Sadly yes otherwise the food doesn't last , there is only so much I can buy out of pocket.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind: Do you rely on the panty every month?
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:02 PM
How many kids? Do they limit how much you can use the food bank?

Quoting Anonymous: Sadly yes otherwise the food doesn't last , there is only so much I can buy out of pocket.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind: Do you rely on the panty every month?
mommy211983
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:03 PM
I'm not on food stamps but I have been poor so I have a few suggestions I hope will help.

One thing that makes a lot of doesn't cost much is. Just combine eggs, hash browns, and ground sausage. My kid loves it!

Also mix up just doing spaghetti with lasagna toss. Cook egg noddles. Make spaghetti sauce with or without meat combine and add a container of cottage cheese.
Cheap, easy and there's always left overs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)