Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you deal with this sibling issue? My son won't stop interrupting my daughter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I make it a point to have a family meal every night where everyone can talk about their day and anything else they'd like to. My daughter is 15 and my son is 5. They bicker a lot due to their age difference but nothing too serious.

Lately, my 5 year old won't stop interrupting my daughter when she's speaking. Sometimes it's with his own story/thoughts, and sometimes it's to ask for something. I've tried to tell him to stop and wait til his sister is done speaking or to say excuse me, but it's been slow to sink in.

Tonight he did to ask for cookies for dessert when my daughter was talking about a project for one of her classes. My daughter turned and loudly said "what's so hard to understand about not interrupting?" and left the table. Does anyone have any advice on how to make our table more pleasant again?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Smack him upside the head until he learns.

Jk.

Sorta.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM
My kid is 7 and is still having a hard time remembering to wait his turn to speak.

Just explain to your daughter that 5 year olds live in the now. What they need or want to say must be said the moment it pops into their head. I get that it is frustrating for her, but he's 5... She needs to understand that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:41 PM
You have to just keep up with the correcting of his behavior. My daughter is an interruptor. I just tell her to wait here turn
AuntieM
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Remove him from the table for 5 minutes and put him in time out. 5 year olds are plenty old enough to not interrupt.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I think you need to start punishing him.

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Make hum get up each time and face the corner for 5 SILENT minutes. If he talks or goofs off it resets the time.
LadyVoldemort
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM

ignore him until your daughter is through. even if the two of you have to go to another room.

jessi2girls
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM

maybe do a talking stick or object.. only the person with the object can speak at the table.. and if someone else would like to speak, they raise their hand..

I know it may see a bit childish to the teenager, but it may help the five year old until it does sink in. 

starbuckmom03
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:14 PM
He's 5. No impulse control.

I have two 5 yr olds. I am always working with my boys to not interrupt each other.

Try sitting next to him and when you dd starts talking quietly remind him that its her turn. If he starts talking, hold his hand as a reminder to wait. When he is successful in waiting, praise him!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)