Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What if it was a child begging for food/money?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
The weather has been terrible, but DH and I decided to venture out to the store.

As we were leaving, we saw a family of four standing on the corner. There was a man and woman with a sign that said, "Family of four. Everything helps."

Then there were two kids, both under eight, standing next to their parents with a sign that said - "We're hungry. Will you help us?" The kids kept trying to play in the snow, but the dad kept snapping at them to come back and hold up their sign.

I couldn't take my eyes off the kids. They were in nice coats, but it was only nine degrees outside and the wind was vicious.

While I was feeling very sympathetic and really wanted to help (DH and I are barely making ends meet, so we don't have any money to spare), DH was pissed.

He said it was so wrong for them to have their kids out begging for food, especially in such horrible weather. He said someone should call CPS and make a report. I thought he had a valid point.

If you saw the same scene, what would you do/think?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I would have given them money. But I'm really soft line that. I would have given money with or without the kids there.

Islandmom2boys
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:54 PM
I would never take my kids out to beg for food or money in any kind of weather.

I will ask neighbors for help before I beg on a street corner.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I would of called the police right there on the spot .

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I would have stopped and asked about their situation so I'd know what food to go buy. Yes its horrible to have the kids out like that but maybe they are homeless as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:56 PM

yup, this

Quoting Anonymous:

I would of called the police right there on the spot .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM
4 moms liked this
I've been in a little different situation a couple years ago we got hit pretty good with snow and it was -12 out side and we saw a lady outside sitting on an electric box with what looked to be a baby around 6 months. The mom was looless to be in rough shape (bruises and cuts) we pulled over to ask if they needed help and she broke down crying saying she just ran out of her abusive ex house and is homeless with her baby. We where struggling as well but took her into our apartment let her stay a couple weeks. She did work so it let her save a couple checks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Call the cops. Honestly because its fucked up to use your kids that way and have them standing outside in 9 degree's for such bullshit. The whole thing would piss me off. 

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Absolutely not.

I'm not too prone to give money to people who beg on streets to begin with, but appeal to conscience just makes me livid. If ever you want me to not donate to your cause, involving your kid in it is a pretty fool-proof way to turn me away.

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:03 PM
I probably would have said something and found out what the story was. If they were homeless, I would have tried to find them a shelter. I would have asked the father if he could please get the kids out of the cold. If their story sounded on the straight up (from their responses) then I would have given money. If not, I would have called the cops.
mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
They had their kids there to gain sympathy. If the kids wanted to play in the snow that gives me comfort to believe that they do not live outside.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)