Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Return W2's to sender to avoid an IRS conflict?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

Someone stayed at my house for a while.  We are hardly in contact anymore, unless said person needs something.  Said person is asking about their tax forms.  I have asked them to stop having mail sent to my apartment, but hasn't so far.  I was told if more than one person files HOH (head of household) at the same address it can cause an audit for both parties.  That person has not been here in over six months, but I am very concerned that they will use my address to file taxes, for a refund.  Even if I tell them not to use my addr, I know they will, because they are basically homeless and have no other option.  Should I just write "RETURN TO SENDER" on the tax forms?  Idk if that will stop that person from filing using my address, but it will at least delay the process.........

What should I do?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:02 PM

BUMP!

somuchlove4U
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:04 PM
I'm not sure what you should do. Here is a bump for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Anything can cause an audit. Having two people share the same address won't affect anything, my sister and I I have both used the same address for years and nothing has happened. 

Just give them the w2. If they are homeless they probably need the refund if they are getting one.

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Returning the w2 to sender will do nothing. That is sent from the persons place of employment. A copy is sent to IRS with the businesses tax return

The homeless person could file an estimated W2 if they do not get a copy from you. They could also go to employer to request another copy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Are you and your sister both claiming HOH?  Our tax professional basically went into panic mode when he saw the mail mixed in with ours....  That is why I am worried, I cannot afford to not get my refund...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anything can cause an audit. Having two people share the same address won't affect anything, my sister and I I have both used the same address for years and nothing has happened. 

Just give them the w2. If they are homeless they probably need the refund if they are getting one.

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:20 PM
What if you say they rented a room? Idk...
caligirl7613
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:21 PM
2 ppl can use the same address to file, generally the one who made the most money gets to file HOH.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you and your sister both claiming HOH?  Our tax professional basically went into panic mode when he saw the mail mixed in with ours....  That is why I am worried, I cannot afford to not get my refund...

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bethpelle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Just file first.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM

That is what our impression is.  I am filing HOH in my home,  SO/DF is filing single, not married.  I filed today, may wait until my return is deposited before I give that person their forms...... 

Quoting caligirl7613: 2 ppl can use the same address to file, generally the one who made the most money gets to file HOH.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:28 PM

That is what I did, I am waiting until my return is in bank if I give that person their forms.  I know they are homeless and need the money, but I refuse to have it be at my own expense, and that tax guy freaked me out :(

Quoting bethpelle: Just file first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)