Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should kids LEGALY be more involved in their medical choices.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

I am not saying they should decide if they don't want a treatment because as we know kids will often times not take their meds because they think it is gross or it makes them feel icky.

BUT in a life or death situation if the parent wants to do the more dangerious treatment (like lets say the child has cancer. there is a 90% chance of death WITHOUT treatment but with treatment there is a 87% chance of servival. Should the parents be allowed to A not tell the child they will die without said treatment. B be the only people to have say so if the child does not get the recomended treatment. (parents want to do a herbal treatment) or should the dr be allowed to tell the child and let them decide if they want to get the life saving treatment)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Children can't make those choices.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:24 PM
The parents are more able to make an informed decision, as a child's brain isn't fully developed. Now a teenager, well, as a parent is ask their thoughts, and want to know what they feel they want.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Kids no, teens yes. But if they disagree with their parents decision they can petition for medical emancipation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Children shouldn't make that choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Why do you feel kids are capable of making a decision like that?
jowens8907
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM
That depends on the age. In your hypothetical scenario how old is the patient? I would also take into account how long they've been since and how much they have already suffered. My sisters keeper really comes to mind right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Nope
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:31 PM

This is ridiculous. Children can't make those decisions. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:31 PM
No children are not mentally capable of making that type of decision
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:32 PM
And the maturity of the child as well

Quoting jowens8907: That depends on the age. In your hypothetical scenario how old is the patient? I would also take into account how long they've been since and how much they have already suffered. My sisters keeper really comes to mind right now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)