Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too expensive for a 3 year old?!?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My dd turns three at the end of the month. I want to get her a doll house. When she turned 1 we got her the Fisher Price My first doll house. She doesn't play with it anymore. For her birthday last year we got her the Little People Disney princess castle. She plays with it once in a while. She does play with toys that my oldest passed down to her like Polly Pockets and Littlest PetShop. So I thought maybe I'll get her one of the houses and a family from Calico Critters. She doesn't put things in her mouth anymore so small pieces aren't a big deal.

I showed DH online and he said that it's a bit expensive for a 3 year old. (Target does have a knock off brand Lil Woodzeez) I talked to my friends and none of them have bought any Callico Critters. I'd like opinions from people who acctually bought them. Did your kids play with them often? Is the quality good? Is it worth the money? The Target brand ones are almost half the price but the families aren't as cute. I have my heart set on getting her the cow family.

http://international-playthings.shptron.com/c/calico-critters

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Quoting JC2223:

I just bought a bunch of Calico Critters and houses for my DD this past Christmas. She's been asking for them for 3 years but I always thought they were too expensive. She just turned 10 and I figured I'm running out of time where she will want to play with toys, so I finally bought them. She LOVES them and plays with them everyday. The money was worth it considering her excitement over finally getting them.

My oldest is ten and is very much in favor of me getting them for her sister. I think it's because she wants to play with them just as much but won't admit it. When we were looking at the website she was all "omg the elephants are awesome" and "The bakery is adorable" So if I do get them it'll be a win win because they will finally have something to play with together

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Quoting thenameshailie: Ive never heard of those before, but they are so cute.
SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:02 AM

How expensive are we talking? I have never heard of them before but the cows are cute.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Quoting SweetPea2004:

How expensive are we talking? I have never heard of them before but the cows are cute.

the families are 22.95, the houses start at 65.95 and go all the way to around 200.00. The furniture sets range from 20.00 to 40.00. I think there might be a few things that are 14.95. The set of twins aren't included with the rest of the family and they cost 9.00

nicoal4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I got my 4 year old one I thought SHE would LOVE it. She didn't like it much the other girls loved it and I thought it was so cute. But it got pushed to the side. All my girls love littlest pet shop even the little ones. If you know she likes it maybe go that route. What I also find is my girls don't play with set rather just pick up pieces and walk around with them. My 3 year old is just now sitting down and playing barbie's and kitchen and its only for like 15 minutes at a time.

nicoal4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Really I paid like 45 for the whole set from walmart I got a small house and a family ..

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

the families are 22.95, the houses start at 65.95 and go all the way to around 200.00. The furniture sets range from 20.00 to 40.00. I think there might be a few things that are 14.95. The set of twins aren't included with the rest of the family and they cost 9.00

JC2223
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JC2223:

I just bought a bunch of Calico Critters and houses for my DD this past Christmas. She's been asking for them for 3 years but I always thought they were too expensive. She just turned 10 and I figured I'm running out of time where she will want to play with toys, so I finally bought them. She LOVES them and plays with them everyday. The money was worth it considering her excitement over finally getting them.

My oldest is ten and is very much in favor of me getting them for her sister. I think it's because she wants to play with them just as much but won't admit it. When we were looking at the website she was all "omg the elephants are awesome" and "The bakery is adorable" So if I do get them it'll be a win win because they will finally have something to play with together

DD was leary of admitting she still wanted them too, but everytime we went to the store and were near the toys, she would always go right to them and I could see the longing in her eyes. She would just say that they are so cute and adorable. I knew she wouldn't say she still wanted them because of the disappointment over not getting them 3 years in a row, plus her age (it's apparently not cool for a 10yo to want doll houses with fuzzy adorable animal families). When she opened that first set on Christmas day, she was shocked. Then she screamed her happiness and actually teared up. Every family member that gave her money or gift cards for Christmas was told their gift was going to be used to get more Calico Critters! If it's a gift that will be happily shared with your 10yo and her baby sister...go for it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Quoting nicoal4:

Really I paid like 45 for the whole set from walmart I got a small house and a family ..

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

I didn't know Walmart sold them. I know there is a locally owned toy shop in my town that sells them. I'm going to go check out the Walmart website.  

othermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this

They are cute, but it doesn't sound like she is in to doll houses much if she doesn't play with the other two

applethyme
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:13 AM

My dd is 7 and she got several sets for Christmas.  DD also loves playmobile and uses the calico critters with the playmobile.  If you have any local toy stores you can get on their mailing list.  Ours sends out 20% off coupons all the time.  Barnes and Nobles also has Calico critters and if you are a member you will get 10% off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)