Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too expensive for a 3 year old?!?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My dd turns three at the end of the month. I want to get her a doll house. When she turned 1 we got her the Fisher Price My first doll house. She doesn't play with it anymore. For her birthday last year we got her the Little People Disney princess castle. She plays with it once in a while. She does play with toys that my oldest passed down to her like Polly Pockets and Littlest PetShop. So I thought maybe I'll get her one of the houses and a family from Calico Critters. She doesn't put things in her mouth anymore so small pieces aren't a big deal.

I showed DH online and he said that it's a bit expensive for a 3 year old. (Target does have a knock off brand Lil Woodzeez) I talked to my friends and none of them have bought any Callico Critters. I'd like opinions from people who acctually bought them. Did your kids play with them often? Is the quality good? Is it worth the money? The Target brand ones are almost half the price but the families aren't as cute. I have my heart set on getting her the cow family.

http://international-playthings.shptron.com/c/calico-critters

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Replies (171-175):
pbjbarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:20 AM
It depends on the child. My kids will play with a cheap toy for months but a cool expensive toy I thought they would like
Gets tossed
couponleigh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:22 AM

honestly seems like she is not yet old enough to maintain interest in something like this. I would wait

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Well that's just ridiculous.  Why woud I troll about toys?  LOL Some moms have too much time on their hands and an active imagination apparently. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh Em Gee. Are you really that dense? For goodness sake, you are the butt of this joke and only making yourself look worse.

Quoting YuppyMom:

I just, admittedly, skimmed the original post but she did not appear to use third person.  I don't see how this is a "troll" post, but hey...I could be wrong.

Quoting Anonymous: Why would she be talking about herself in the third person?

Quoting YuppyMom: Why would she be trolling?

Quoting Anonymous: Obvious troll is obvious.

Quoting YuppyMom:

They are actually cheap compared to the type toys I bouhgt my kids at that age.  I'm not a big fan of cheap plastic toys, but these are okay.  I have some experience with them. *shrug*

bmommyx2
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 2:19 PM

every kid is so different 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I started my 3 year old on Calico Critters at 3. Don't ask me why! LOL It's equal to American Girl in expensive and I hate how much money they cost! Even on sale, they still are $25 a set!! $8 for tiny little baby bunnies! 

My daughter LOVES them. We started with the bunny family because I think they are the cutest & she calls them her "hop hops"....I go big and collect a set each birthday or Christmas. I don't buy them but twice a year and than I try to get something big. Another house so she can have a town. The pieces are MICRO....but its oh so cute. She doesn't really pay attention to anything except the bunnies, their beds & the car. Her sisters love it just as much and when they all tend to play "solo" games with the set we have. 

Actually now that I think about it, I started her on it because she has three sisters & by #4, I've pretty much bought everything out there. We didn't have a Calico Critter collection---and I love anything vintage and Calico Critters have been around for years...they used to be called something else. My SIL has a house from the original lot....and her daughter turned 3 this year & she copies anything I do so she started her daughter on them this year as well. 

Totally a good fit. But beware the money you spend. It's either something you will collect as years go by or you get one house & one animal family & sell it later. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)