Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too expensive for a 3 year old?!?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My dd turns three at the end of the month. I want to get her a doll house. When she turned 1 we got her the Fisher Price My first doll house. She doesn't play with it anymore. For her birthday last year we got her the Little People Disney princess castle. She plays with it once in a while. She does play with toys that my oldest passed down to her like Polly Pockets and Littlest PetShop. So I thought maybe I'll get her one of the houses and a family from Calico Critters. She doesn't put things in her mouth anymore so small pieces aren't a big deal.

I showed DH online and he said that it's a bit expensive for a 3 year old. (Target does have a knock off brand Lil Woodzeez) I talked to my friends and none of them have bought any Callico Critters. I'd like opinions from people who acctually bought them. Did your kids play with them often? Is the quality good? Is it worth the money? The Target brand ones are almost half the price but the families aren't as cute. I have my heart set on getting her the cow family.

http://international-playthings.shptron.com/c/calico-critters

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Replies (21-30):
SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I doubt I would spend that much if she hadn't shown enough interest. Dd loves American Girl dolls and I got her a less expensive doll first before I spent a ton of money.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

How expensive are we talking? I have never heard of them before but the cows are cute.

the families are 22.95, the houses start at 65.95 and go all the way to around 200.00. The furniture sets range from 20.00 to 40.00. I think there might be a few things that are 14.95. The set of twins aren't included with the rest of the family and they cost 9.00

CafeMom Tickers
Lydlou02
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't say it's too expensive for her age, but I DO think that it's stup to buy ANOTHER version of something she rarely plays with. Just accept that she's not the doll house kind of girl and get something she IS interested in. If you still really want a doll house look into getting YOURSELF one. Maybe one of those build your own kits from a craft store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:18 AM
I don't think it's too expensive, but, it sound like ages not really into doll houses and toys like that. Why get it if she won't play with it?
supermama322
by Kaylee on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM
We got our girls the Calico Critters luxury townhouse with a TON of accessories. They're very well made and good quality. my girls love them
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

DD is 3.5 and loves her Dora pop-up playhouse.

Not saying the Calico Critters/Woodeez is not adorable, it is.  But just throwing another option out there.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I would only buy wood ones. I hate plastic play sets. They seem tl wear and break so fast for how much $$ they are!
New.OrleansLady
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:53 AM

maybe sge doesnt like doll houses if she wont pay with the 2 youve already got her.

weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM
The play house is a good price. The little figures are kind of pricey IMO.
Lynette
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM
I loved those as a kid. My dd plays with them every time we go to the toy store at the mall. My DD has a wood doll house that was 200(bought from Nova Naturals) that she got when she was 2. She is 5 now. She has different dolls that she plays with in it. Calico critters, a wooden Melissa and Doug doll family, and a plastic fisher price family(that a friend gave her). The furniture is wood from plan toys I think. She just has the one doll house but she can play with different things in it
FlutterbyMom3
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Holy shit, that house is $180! Damn. 

It's cute though but just the house is $180, that doesn't include all the things to put in it. That would be way too expensive for me to justify buying. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN