Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too expensive for a 3 year old?!?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My dd turns three at the end of the month. I want to get her a doll house. When she turned 1 we got her the Fisher Price My first doll house. She doesn't play with it anymore. For her birthday last year we got her the Little People Disney princess castle. She plays with it once in a while. She does play with toys that my oldest passed down to her like Polly Pockets and Littlest PetShop. So I thought maybe I'll get her one of the houses and a family from Calico Critters. She doesn't put things in her mouth anymore so small pieces aren't a big deal.

I showed DH online and he said that it's a bit expensive for a 3 year old. (Target does have a knock off brand Lil Woodzeez) I talked to my friends and none of them have bought any Callico Critters. I'd like opinions from people who acctually bought them. Did your kids play with them often? Is the quality good? Is it worth the money? The Target brand ones are almost half the price but the families aren't as cute. I have my heart set on getting her the cow family.

http://international-playthings.shptron.com/c/calico-critters

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Replies (31-40):
Lynette
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
At the toy store near me they don't even have the calico critters in the calico house. Instead they have the display set up with a small pink wood doll house called a fold and go doll house by Melissa and Doug, amazon has it right now for 26, normally it's 50. Fits the calico critters perfectly.

I don't like plastic doll houses either.

Quoting svolkov: I would only buy wood ones. I hate plastic play sets. They seem tl wear and break so fast for how much $$ they are!
ABCMomma0211
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Or see if your husband can build her one????

And then buy the people.

My bff dad did that. We played with that doll house til we were 14! She was gonna give it to me for oldest dd but it had broken.
EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM
If they're the same as Sylvanian Families they're definitely worth it. I had a SF houseboat that lasted until I gave it away.
LukeWarmwater
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:08 AM

They are so cute.  I considered getting it for my dd so many times, but the price deterred me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM

If you know she likes the polly pockets I would just get her that or maybe some of the littlest pet shop toys. In my experience kids get board with things easily so even if she does play with it she will eventually get bored and move onto a new toy. That is why I wont spend hundreds of dollars on toys.

sburger315
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM

My MIL got one of the houses and the bunny characters for my niece's first birthday. So it's safe to say that your DD is old enough. imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds to me like she wants to play with other things, but you're forcing dolls on her. I'd ask her what she wants. 3 is old enough to tell you.

awesomemommy2
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Does she have a short attention span for toys? My five-year-old still place with the Fisher-Price dollhouse and the princess castle. She may use different figures in it but she still uses the houses so maybe just get the calico people and let those people playing the other houses.
JAIRATRACI
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM
I have never bought those but if they are good quality the price isn't bad. If it could last for years and you can put it up for future children(yours or even hers) then I see nothing wrong with spending that much. A lot people would say $60 for a cabbage patch kid is too expensive for a 2 year old but I did spend that much for my oldest son's firefighter cabbage patch.
JayTee80
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I don't have daughters so take this with a grain of salt.  It seems really pricey for a dollhouse with critters that she might only play with for a few years.  I would get her something similar but less expensive for now, and as she gets older if she seems to enjoy dollhouses invest in a nice set up.  It does'nt have to be expensive to start.  Many craft stores sell dollhouse kits that you build, paint, and customize to your liking.  She might enjoy something like that in a few years, and it is a hobby she can enjoy throughout childhood and one day pass down to her daughters or grandchildren.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN