Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too expensive for a 3 year old?!?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My dd turns three at the end of the month. I want to get her a doll house. When she turned 1 we got her the Fisher Price My first doll house. She doesn't play with it anymore. For her birthday last year we got her the Little People Disney princess castle. She plays with it once in a while. She does play with toys that my oldest passed down to her like Polly Pockets and Littlest PetShop. So I thought maybe I'll get her one of the houses and a family from Calico Critters. She doesn't put things in her mouth anymore so small pieces aren't a big deal.

I showed DH online and he said that it's a bit expensive for a 3 year old. (Target does have a knock off brand Lil Woodzeez) I talked to my friends and none of them have bought any Callico Critters. I'd like opinions from people who acctually bought them. Did your kids play with them often? Is the quality good? Is it worth the money? The Target brand ones are almost half the price but the families aren't as cute. I have my heart set on getting her the cow family.

http://international-playthings.shptron.com/c/calico-critters

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Replies (41-50):
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Cute
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM

My 3 year old niece loves her kitchen. She got a my little princess castle last year, and hardly touched it, but man she loves her kitchen (she got it this year) lol 

NatesMyBoy
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:43 AM

How about buying the cheaper brand for the houses and buy the calico critters.

2pink1blue
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM

My oldest had a Calico Critter house and several families when she was in preschool.  She played with them a lot. The only downsides I remember is that the clothing was quite difficult for her little fingers to put on, fasten and remove and many of the accessories in the house (kitchen dishes, foods, etc.) were very tiny and easy to misplace.  We ended up keeping the house on a dedicated little table and bought her small storage bins for the critters and random pieces. 

I'd say she played with all that until she was 8-9, same as her Littlest Pet Shop stuff.

MustBNapTime
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Calico Critters are RIDICULOUSLY expensive... They are cute & I love how they feel but I couldnt ever bring myself to spend the $ on them...

STVUstudent
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM

My daughter got a bunch of Calico Critters, and a house, and stuff for Christmas last year.  She played with it some, but not enough to make it worth what they cost, in my opinion.  BUT... this is my daughter... she puts the critters in her purse and carries them around, but doesn't do a lot with the house.  You know your daughter.  If she likes the playhouse type stuff, she will probably like it...

keeler_s
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM
They are cute. Ive never heard of them before
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I don't have one, but those are adorable!

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I think it's fine as long as your dd would play with them. They are worth the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmays87
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM

When my ds was 3 we were going through walmart and he seen the woodzees ones and just had to have them. They were also on the sale rack so of course I bought them, we loved playing with them. The calico critters are cute as well. Unfortunately he out grown playing with them and is totally in the stage where he only plays with boy toys haha. He is almost 5 now. I think if I ever had a girl and she was interested in playing with them and if I had the money, I would definitely go for it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)