Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you flash your lights to other cars when you see a cop in a speed trap?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM
  • 236 Replies
2 moms liked this

Warning Fellow Drivers of Speed Traps Shouldn't Be a Crime

by Jenny Erikson

Police in Ellisville, Missouri, are no longer allowed to ticket good Samaritans warning fellow travelers of upcoming speed traps, thanks to an order from a U.S. District Court judge.

It seems that a man was issued a citation in 2012 for “obstructing justice” by flashing his headlights to alert other drivers to the presence of a speed trap. The charges were eventually dropped, and the police chief warned his officers to stop giving tickets of this nature, but the ACLU stepped in to make sure the ordinance is taken off the books for good.

It seems there are lots of places around the country that have laws against people warning others of speed traps. A man in Texas was in court last month battling a similar ticket for holding a sign reading, “Police ahead.”

I don’t normally side with the ACLU, but they have my full-fledged support in this matter. It’s not only ridiculous, but an infringement on our right to free speech to make it illegal to warn others of cops with radar guns sitting around bends in roads with ridiculously low speed limits.

Besides, if law enforcement is really just concerned with keeping roadways safe, then they should be happy that more people are slowing down and driving more cautiously. Who cares what made them slow down? Oh, it must be about money. That doesn’t inspire much confidence, does it?

Flashing your headlights to other cars as a way to warn others about a speed trap is just the right thing to do. Only a jerk would want complete strangers in another vehicle to get a ticket. It’s not an obstruction of justice -- it’s the kind thing to do.

Do you flash your lights to other cars when you see a cop in a speed trap?

by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM
24 moms liked this

No. 

People who drive recklessly deserve a ticket.

They are puttting other people, like my family, at risk. Especially in the winter when road conditions are poor.

I don't think people should be charged for warning people, though. That's ridiculous.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

depends on the stretch of road

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM
This, exactly.

Quoting danie24:

No. 

They are puttting other people, like my family, at risk. Especially in the winter when road conditions are poor.

I don't think people should be charged for warning people, though. That's ridiculous.  

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM

If I think of it. But it almost never happens to me. Not a lot of speed traps where I live, I guess.

-_-
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM

No.

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Sometimes. In the winter I don't though.
RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM
No, I'd be flashing my brights nonstop, lol I spend two hours a day on the parkway. Besides, you don't get pulled over on this road unless you're doing 80, so if you get a ticket you deserve it.
Gorilla_Mama
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Yup, this

Quoting danie24:

No. 

gcstar42
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM
12 moms liked this

Yes I do. Its always nice to have a little warning so you can look down and make sure you are not accidently speeding. If someone is driving super fast or doing something dangerous I do not do it though because I would hope they would get caught so they are not endangering others.

drowningmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)