Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you flash your lights to other cars when you see a cop in a speed trap?

Posted by   + Show Post

Warning Fellow Drivers of Speed Traps Shouldn't Be a Crime

by Jenny Erikson

Police in Ellisville, Missouri, are no longer allowed to ticket good Samaritans warning fellow travelers of upcoming speed traps, thanks to an order from a U.S. District Court judge.

It seems that a man was issued a citation in 2012 for “obstructing justice” by flashing his headlights to alert other drivers to the presence of a speed trap. The charges were eventually dropped, and the police chief warned his officers to stop giving tickets of this nature, but the ACLU stepped in to make sure the ordinance is taken off the books for good.

It seems there are lots of places around the country that have laws against people warning others of speed traps. A man in Texas was in court last month battling a similar ticket for holding a sign reading, “Police ahead.”

I don’t normally side with the ACLU, but they have my full-fledged support in this matter. It’s not only ridiculous, but an infringement on our right to free speech to make it illegal to warn others of cops with radar guns sitting around bends in roads with ridiculously low speed limits.

Besides, if law enforcement is really just concerned with keeping roadways safe, then they should be happy that more people are slowing down and driving more cautiously. Who cares what made them slow down? Oh, it must be about money. That doesn’t inspire much confidence, does it?

Flashing your headlights to other cars as a way to warn others about a speed trap is just the right thing to do. Only a jerk would want complete strangers in another vehicle to get a ticket. It’s not an obstruction of justice -- it’s the kind thing to do.

Do you flash your lights to other cars when you see a cop in a speed trap?

by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM
No. Got a ticket for it once.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
No. They know the law and if they're going to break it, they can deal with the consequences. Also, flashing your lights can cause the other driver not to be able to see and can cause an accident (part of the reason it's illegal in the first place).
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM
6 moms liked this

Yes I do.  It's not necessarily people driving recklessly, but people just driving 5 miles over the speed limit.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I've never done it, but people have flashed their lights at me plenty of times. Around here, if people see a cop, they let everyone know
woodswalker
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM

No.   I figure better them than me.

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM
3 moms liked this
Yup. Its common in my area to get ticketed for less than 5 over (i got one the other day for 3) and also going under. So i warn people
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't warn others on the road of cops. If they are speeding thats their problem. I will however flash them if there is an animal or something near the road. 

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM
This

Quoting danie24:

No. 

People who drive recklessly deserve a ticket.

They are puttting other people, like my family, at risk. Especially in the winter when road conditions are poor.

I don't think people should be charged for warning people, though. That's ridiculous.  

heldcaptiveby2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Yes
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM
4 moms liked this
In normal traffic, yes. We have a lot of roads where they drop the speed limits without any attention to the changes just so they can ticket. If someone is driving like an asshole, no, they deserve a ticket. If someone is going about 35 in a residential but they recently dropped it to 20, then yes.

I flash my lights to tell people their lights are off too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)