Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you allow your DS to paint his nails?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DD is 4 and loves to have her nails painted. Everytime I do my DS who is 2 always asks to have his nails painted. I usually paint either 1 nail or his toenails. If I do allow him to have his nails painted my MIL always give me hell for it and acts like I'm trying to turn him gay. To me he is 2 and doesnt understand yet that painting your nails is usually something girls do. If he was in school I'd probably be more hesitant to do it but at his age I don't see it as a big deal. What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Replies (491-500):
shaiorta
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM

No biggie. Do it for him but explain to him that it is a 'girl' thing and ask him if he really wants to do girl things like that. I don't have a boy, but I dont see an issue. 

Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I don't see the issue. Anyone who sees it as one is trying to create a problem where one doesn't exist. 

happymomof2
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM

My 13 year old daughter paints her nails, and her 3 year old brother will ask her to "color his fingers, too!"  So she does, ususally with boyish colors, it's cute.  Do not listen to the MIL.  It wont turn him gay.

KW123
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

My DD is 4 and loves to have her nails painted. Everytime I do my DS who is 2 always asks to have his nails painted. I usually paint either 1 nail or his toenails. If I do allow him to have his nails painted my MIL always give me hell for it and acts like I'm trying to turn him gay. To me he is 2 and doesnt understand yet that painting your nails is usually something girls do. If he was in school I'd probably be more hesitant to do it but at his age I don't see it as a big deal. What do you think?

My father was in the military, he and his co-workers/friends would go get manicures with a clear coat before something big like a ball or someone super important coming to the base. Grooming hands includes more than washing them correctly and applying lotion on them.

A lot a straight male musicians also have painted nails. As well as, some sign language teachers. They paint them in different colors to help their student learn.

Your MIL needs to get over herself.

Peaceformoms
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I guess we will agree to disagree. I don't believe teaching a child male in this case to express his feeling thoughts wants or needs in a healthy manor and painting their nails are equal. I don't think its a double standard to show them they are different than each other. Not unequal but different. My boys have always been very affectionate and caring. We talk openly and share their thoughts about anything and everything. They haven't suffered because I didn't paint their nails or raising them to understand that men and woman are different we were designed to compliment each other. Men are expected to be provider and protector of their family wither or not he has a successful CEO wife or homemaker wife. Woman are barers of children by design it's not a something we can trade off and have a man do it, I think the reason young men struggle with identity over the last very many years is because women struggle with their identity. We want independence and equality to be treated no different than a man equally educated but still want them to open doors take us on dates and be sensitive. Men and women are different not better or worse than the other different one tends to be softer nurturing barring life the other tends to be rougher more aggressive protective and providing to sustain life. We are 100% capable of surviving today's society and surpassing odds and expectations but in the sense of man woman and relationships we are 50% of that and our mate is the other 50% we make one whole unit when together complimenting our natural differences balancing each other.

And I'm not sorry that I rather a strong manly guy who has a tender spot just for us and would move heaven and earth for me and his family, that doesn't say all the right things but does them everyday than the guy that has a sweet tongue that would go to the nail salon with me and wants to talk and says the right things and doesn't do it but always planning to. You can have strong men who are caring without blurring gender roles because girls wearing jeans or being a CEO isn't the same as a boy wearing a dress and painting their nails.

Anyways I obviously believe that boys are boys and girls are girls... I have two handsome sons that get hugs and kisses everyday they hug their stepdad and talk about things while working in the garage or learning to change oil in a car... We talk while they help chop veggies for dinner Or teaching them how to do things around the house. My boys know friends are great but family is important and comes first. Unlike most of the kids their age they still hug us at drop off and say I love you in front of their peers and are comfortable with us anywhere they are. My kids get awards and praise all the time for being kind and helpful always willing to do a little extra... They hold the door for people and offer help when they see someone needs it when I'm moving something heavy or one of my building projects the always come say mom let us help. I see nothing wrong with a couple more good ole boys that carry an old ladies groceries that can fix a car or cut down a tree that are loyal work hard and have good morals. Many good men are out there and there will be more that weren'tand won't be scarred by not getting their nails painted and being taught to treat a lady like a lady.

At the end of the day our kids are going to be whoever they want to be we just lay the foundation and support for them to succeed the best way we see fit. As long as our children are healthy happy functioning human beings contributing to the world not taking we've done our job.

Quoting Tuushie:

We use PiggyPaint. Non-toxic. A toddler or child is not a "metro boy". He's not looking to impress people, he is innocent. He just wants to try things out and emulate people he loves. I'm afraid this double standard is too hard on boys, we wonder why men are afraid to express their feelings. We wonder why they become violent. A girl may play sports and wear pants and be a CEO but a "real man" must never look or act what is perceived as "feminine" in any way. It's BS and it's ruining our men.

Quoting Peaceformoms: This is what I was waiting to see through all the post. I'm surprised at how many people paint their little kids nails. I mean I guess its not a big deal but when I was a kid nail Polish was for the big girls and ladies lol. It is chemicals and if they put their hands in their mouth or what not they could ingest paint chips. Won't kill a I guess but not good. I was allowed to use the clear red/pinkish nail polish around 10/11 and not color till 13. I was allowed a little lip gloss. In high school I was allowed to wear makeup but no one showed me how so I looked like a clown. Didn't know that till looking back on pics with blue eyeshadow look like a smurf puked on me lol. I'm think no one loved me to let me out the house like that haha. No I wouldn't paint my sons nails not because it would make them gay but because that's for girls to look pretty in my opinion and I don't dig on pretty metro boys. They'll be who their going to be but I don't have to encourage it lol.

Quoting Anonymous: I won't paint my sons nails but I wouldn't paint my daughters nails either. I think that nail polish is something for older children. Under ten years old and my kids won't be wearing any make up, nail polish, or extreme haircuts. After ten; it'll be up for consideration based on maturity and what exactly they're wanting.

Tuushie
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM
That's just it. We don't need to show them they are different. We don't need to lay any manly foundation. They struggle with identity because they don't identify with what is laid out for them and they wonder what is wrong with them. I'm not saying they can't like cats or mud or fighting with sticks. I'm saying they can and will like whatever they please, but they will feel accepted anyway, as long as we don't interfere, or give things "boy" or "girl" or manly labels.

Quoting Peaceformoms:
I guess we will agree to disagree. I don't believe teaching a child male in this case to express his feeling thoughts wants or needs in a healthy manor and painting their nails are equal. I don't think its a double standard to show them they are different than each other. Not unequal but different. My boys have always been very affectionate and caring. We talk openly and share their thoughts about anything and everything. They haven't suffered because I didn't paint their nails or raising them to understand that men and woman are different we were designed to compliment each other. Men are expected to be provider and protector of their family wither or not he has a successful CEO wife or homemaker wife. Woman are barers of children by design it's not a something we can trade off and have a man do it, I think the reason young men struggle with identity over the last very many years is because women struggle with their identity. We want independence and equality to be treated no different than a man equally educated but still want them to open doors take us on dates and be sensitive. Men and women are different not better or worse than the other different one tends to be softer nurturing barring life the other tends to be rougher more aggressive protective and providing to sustain life. We are 100% capable of surviving today's society and surpassing odds and expectations but in the sense of man woman and relationships we are 50% of that and our mate is the other 50% we make one whole unit when together complimenting our natural differences balancing each other.

And I'm not sorry that I rather a strong manly guy who has a tender spot just for us and would move heaven and earth for me and his family, that doesn't say all the right things but does them everyday than the guy that has a sweet tongue that would go to the nail salon with me and wants to talk and says the right things and doesn't do it but always planning to. You can have strong men who are caring without blurring gender roles because girls wearing jeans or being a CEO isn't the same as a boy wearing a dress and painting their nails.

Anyways I obviously believe that boys are boys and girls are girls... I have two handsome sons that get hugs and kisses everyday they hug their stepdad and talk about things while working in the garage or learning to change oil in a car... We talk while they help chop veggies for dinner Or teaching them how to do things around the house. My boys know friends are great but family is important and comes first. Unlike most of the kids their age they still hug us at drop off and say I love you in front of their peers and are comfortable with us anywhere they are. My kids get awards and praise all the time for being kind and helpful always willing to do a little extra... They hold the door for people and offer help when they see someone needs it when I'm moving something heavy or one of my building projects the always come say mom let us help. I see nothing wrong with a couple more good ole boys that carry an old ladies groceries that can fix a car or cut down a tree that are loyal work hard and have good morals. Many good men are out there and there will be more that weren'tand won't be scarred by not getting their nails painted and being taught to treat a lady like a lady.

At the end of the day our kids are going to be whoever they want to be we just lay the foundation and support for them to succeed the best way we see fit. As long as our children are healthy happy functioning human beings contributing to the world not taking we've done our job.

Quoting Tuushie:

We use PiggyPaint. Non-toxic. A toddler or child is not a "metro boy". He's not looking to impress people, he is innocent. He just wants to try things out and emulate people he loves. I'm afraid this double standard is too hard on boys, we wonder why men are afraid to express their feelings. We wonder why they become violent. A girl may play sports and wear pants and be a CEO but a "real man" must never look or act what is perceived as "feminine" in any way. It's BS and it's ruining our men.

Quoting Peaceformoms: This is what I was waiting to see through all the post. I'm surprised at how many people paint their little kids nails. I mean I guess its not a big deal but when I was a kid nail Polish was for the big girls and ladies lol. It is chemicals and if they put their hands in their mouth or what not they could ingest paint chips. Won't kill a I guess but not good. I was allowed to use the clear red/pinkish nail polish around 10/11 and not color till 13. I was allowed a little lip gloss. In high school I was allowed to wear makeup but no one showed me how so I looked like a clown. Didn't know that till looking back on pics with blue eyeshadow look like a smurf puked on me lol. I'm think no one loved me to let me out the house like that haha. No I wouldn't paint my sons nails not because it would make them gay but because that's for girls to look pretty in my opinion and I don't dig on pretty metro boys. They'll be who their going to be but I don't have to encourage it lol.

Quoting Anonymous: I won't paint my sons nails but I wouldn't paint my daughters nails either. I think that nail polish is something for older children. Under ten years old and my kids won't be wearing any make up, nail polish, or extreme haircuts. After ten; it'll be up for consideration based on maturity and what exactly they're wanting.

PeppermintyTea
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Ds11 let's his sister paint his... she loves to, and it comes off later. He will do it to make her happy plus he has no shame.
Tuushie
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM
I also don't see how teaching your son what things are manly or not has anything to do with being kind towards other people. He will treat everybody (ladies included) with respect and kindness if you model that.

Quoting Tuushie: That's just it. We don't need to show them they are different. We don't need to lay any manly foundation. They struggle with identity because they don't identify with what is laid out for them and they wonder what is wrong with them. I'm not saying they can't like cats or mud or fighting with sticks. I'm saying they can and will like whatever they please, but they will feel accepted anyway, as long as we don't interfere, or give things "boy" or "girl" or manly labels.

Quoting Peaceformoms:

Quoting Tuushie:

bth.klh
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM
My son is two and loves his nails painted. I let him. So what. I don't think it makes them gay or wrong. I think they are just children and are wanting to be like their older siblings. They want to be like the big kids.
MommyTo2G3B
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM

If they wanted to paint their nails, I would let them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)