Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who make cakes, cake pops, cupcakes ect. as a side job....?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
How do you do it? Do you have to have a liscenced home kitchen? Bake out of a rented commercial kitchen? What about ingredient labels? Or do you just do it for friends and family and rely on word of mouth?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM
My mom does, right out of her kitchen. She does a lot for businesses and individuals. She has a business and Facebook page.
meliec3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM
I operate under Texas Cottage Food Law..
baquick
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Quoting meliec3: I operate under Texas Cottage Food Law..
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM
If you're providing food you have to be in a commercial kitchen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM
This varies by state and at least around here the counties have specific rules as well.

Quoting Anonymous: If you're providing food you have to be in a commercial kitchen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Hmm, the cottage food laws in my state are ridiculous. My kitchen would never be approved. The rules go on and on: the kitchen has to have a door that locks (?? I've never seen a modern home with a kitchen door ??); you must have a separate refrigerator and pantry for ingredients that you use for items intended to sell; no pets anywhere in the home at any time (even fish); children may not be in the kitchen when you are doing any cooking for sale product; your kitchen must be available for inspection 7 days a week from 8am-6pm; blah, blah, blah.

I get that they need to ensure safety, but I'm sorry that's ridiculous.

I see so many of these little home bakeries online and I just don't get how they do it. Can you rent commercial kitchen space? How do you prove/document that your items were made there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)