Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Our house is making us sick... PLEASE any suggestions would help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies

We are Military and we live in a VERY high cost area. The average cost of rentals here are $2000 a month..and that wont even get you much. So we decided to get on the base housing list after struggling to live off base. The company is privatized and we pay $1776 a month for the house. The base has lots of new homes and some old homes still. Unfortunately we got one of the older ones. We didnt care though because we moved onto the base so our daughter could have a good education (so she could attend the base school as we arent able to afford to rent in a good school district). We were happy with our choice until after we moved in. We noticed our allergies were really flaring up, especially our daughter's. She kept getting sick and we thought it was colds but her coughs would persist for over a month. I kept taking her to the doctor for the persistent cough and we found out its allergies. This has happened over and over again since moving in (was NOT happening prior to moving in).Things have begun to escalate and we have started to suspect the home.

My daughter has had her most recent cough since December 24th and it still isnt gone. We are going to the doctor again today for the 4TH time for the SAME cough. She has been prescribe sooo many things and nothing is working. The doctor said if this last round didnt work she would be referring us to an allergist. Twice in the last  month my daughter has woken up in the morning throwing up mucus which I gather is from all of her allergy issues. The first time it happened I was shocked but thought maybe she ate something bad. But when it happened for a second time I knew it wasnt right. I WILL be mentioning this to her Doctor today.

We have been FIGHTING with the housing office to get us out of this house but they are refusing to do so. They wont move us and they wont allow us to break the lease. We have been using a special allergen filter and changing it once a month the HVAC unit and it hasnt helped. Two weeks ago we changed it and it was covered in mold. The housing office said its mildew not mold and there is nothing wrong with the house. We ended up having a wet bubbled up spot in our living room wall and they tore the wall out and found mold. When this happened DH's leadership told us to put in a request to move but they denied it on the grounds that there is no mold (even though its been found). They offered to clean our vents, carpets and add in some vents into the doors to help the house breath. The house is older and VERY poorly built, I dust and vacuum often but the house is sooooo dusty. 

Something in this home is making us sick (my daughter is having the worst of it) but the housing office wont let us leave this house. I dont know what else to do.. they said there is mold everywhere because its Florida which I am aware of but if it isnt mold than its SOMETHING in the house making us sick. Anyone have experience with their home making them sick? What else could it be?? My allergies have been bad as well and I am also starting to develop the same kind of cough as DD.. but I havent had it checked, weve been too focused on DD and im more concerned about her at the moment.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Torihoney5njn
by Kristy on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Can you buy an air purifier for your daughters room for when she sleeps at night? My sons bedroom used to make him stuffy at night and now he does fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Quoting Torihoney5njn: Can you buy an air purifier for your daughters room for when she sleeps at night? My sons bedroom used to make him stuffy at night and now he does fine.

We already did this.. We also had a humidifier going to try and help her breath and cough go away (suggestion from the doctor) and that did not help :( .. We stopped using it and have the air purifier going.

Sept-babies2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Wow..they found mold but said there wasn't any. That is pretty messed up. There has to be something you can do? I really don't know but that sounds so horrible. I hope someone here can help you. Good luck
mommaofALT
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM

We had something similar happen. I contacted an agancy in our state that helps with renters rights. They walked me through how to get the landlord to either fix the problem or let us out of our lease. We were all so sick and black mold was found.. and a window FELL out of my living room and landed on my son's head! It was horrible. 

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this
I worked for a mold remediation company. Mildew is mold. You need to get out of there. Black mold (which is referring to a specific type, NOT the color because it can be any color) can cause lasting damage to your lungs. If you get a mold test done on your own, it will include the types of mold and where it is in the house. But it will cost you about $500 minimum and if you are using it to get out of there you need a third party to do it. As a renter you don't really have many rights to demand remediation, only to get out of there. Normally insurance will cover remediation but I'm not sure the situation with base housing.

And yes, mold spores are in the air, everywhere, at all times. A test will tell you the exact count. If the count is higher in the house than outside, you have growth somewhere in the house that shouldn't be there. And not all types of mold should be in your house at all. If you are in the Orlando area, PM me and I can give you the name of a good testing company that you can at least talk to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM
The whole mold thing is sketchy, borderline scam. If you are allergic to mold, it could cause a problem. The vast majority of homes have mold, somewhere. The dust could definitely cause problems. Also, had there been any renovations or repair? That is the area that got the bad drywall from China.. May be worth looking into. I mean, it is hard to give advice because I have never dealt with the military from your end, only as a contractor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:34 AM
A humidifier is only going to make it more humid in your home and cause more mold and mildew. We live in souhern ga on the coast and mold/mildew is a big issue in humid areas. A dehumidifier wod help a lot in your home. Sadly unless it test to be deadly black mold mitary housing want do much about it in areas where mold/mildew are common. Dh is in the military and this is why we avoid military housing. Also you can break the lease but you will have to pay to break it early.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Torihoney5njn: Can you buy an air purifier for your daughters room for when she sleeps at night? My sons bedroom used to make him stuffy at night and now he does fine.

We already did this.. We also had a humidifier going to try and help her breath and cough go away (suggestion from the doctor) and that did not help :( .. We stopped using it and have the air purifier going.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Sketchy, borderline scam. As a contractor for twenty years and being apart of many renovations, most houses have mold. All houses have mildew.

Quoting quickbooksworm: I worked for a mold remediation company. Mildew is mold. You need to get out of there. Black mold (which is referring to a specific type, NOT the color because it can be any color) can cause lasting damage to your lungs. If you get a mold test done on your own, it will include the types of mold and where it is in the house. But it will cost you about $500 minimum and if you are using it to get out of there you need a third party to do it. As a renter you don't really have many rights to demand remediation, only to get out of there. Normally insurance will cover remediation but I'm not sure the situation with base housing.

And yes, mold spores are in the air, everywhere, at all times. A test will tell you the exact count. If the count is higher in the house than outside, you have growth somewhere in the house that shouldn't be there. And not all types of mold should be in your house at all. If you are in the Orlando area, PM me and I can give you the name of a good testing company that you can at least talk to.
lovin-momma-
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM

so you have records of what was found in your living room and also have the doctor  records as well and take photos and go see coperiate and see if they can't do anything and if that doesn't help i would seek higher authority and if that doesnt help take them to court because its not right for you all to be living in a house with mold growing in the walls and in the air filters its wrong and i can kill mold is a silent killer and does damage on lungs i wish you  and your family the best

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:41 AM
When we lived in our old place my daughter was always sick, she even had acute bronchitis because of it. Turns out there was mold. The only thing that solved it was we moved. I'd be persistent with the office, maybe get a lawyer so they know you mean business and make sure you have proof that there is in fact mold in the house.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN