Our house is making us sick... PLEASE any suggestions would help!
We are Military and we live in a VERY high cost area. The average cost of rentals here are $2000 a month..and that wont even get you much. So we decided to get on the base housing list after struggling to live off base. The company is privatized and we pay $1776 a month for the house. The base has lots of new homes and some old homes still. Unfortunately we got one of the older ones. We didnt care though because we moved onto the base so our daughter could have a good education (so she could attend the base school as we arent able to afford to rent in a good school district). We were happy with our choice until after we moved in. We noticed our allergies were really flaring up, especially our daughter's. She kept getting sick and we thought it was colds but her coughs would persist for over a month. I kept taking her to the doctor for the persistent cough and we found out its allergies. This has happened over and over again since moving in (was NOT happening prior to moving in).Things have begun to escalate and we have started to suspect the home.
My daughter has had her most recent cough since December 24th and it still isnt gone. We are going to the doctor again today for the 4TH time for the SAME cough. She has been prescribe sooo many things and nothing is working. The doctor said if this last round didnt work she would be referring us to an allergist. Twice in the last month my daughter has woken up in the morning throwing up mucus which I gather is from all of her allergy issues. The first time it happened I was shocked but thought maybe she ate something bad. But when it happened for a second time I knew it wasnt right. I WILL be mentioning this to her Doctor today.
We have been FIGHTING with the housing office to get us out of this house but they are refusing to do so. They wont move us and they wont allow us to break the lease. We have been using a special allergen filter and changing it once a month the HVAC unit and it hasnt helped. Two weeks ago we changed it and it was covered in mold. The housing office said its mildew not mold and there is nothing wrong with the house. We ended up having a wet bubbled up spot in our living room wall and they tore the wall out and found mold. When this happened DH's leadership told us to put in a request to move but they denied it on the grounds that there is no mold (even though its been found). They offered to clean our vents, carpets and add in some vents into the doors to help the house breath. The house is older and VERY poorly built, I dust and vacuum often but the house is sooooo dusty.
Something in this home is making us sick (my daughter is having the worst of it) but the housing office wont let us leave this house. I dont know what else to do.. they said there is mold everywhere because its Florida which I am aware of but if it isnt mold than its SOMETHING in the house making us sick. Anyone have experience with their home making them sick? What else could it be?? My allergies have been bad as well and I am also starting to develop the same kind of cough as DD.. but I havent had it checked, weve been too focused on DD and im more concerned about her at the moment.